Thursday, August 24, 2017

What Causes Glory To God?

Through out the scriptures we are given a history of humanity. It's a rather gritty history. Like a poor portrait that fails to cover the flaws so that we see the reality of the person; our heroes-- warts and all are included in scripture.

In the recent study of the incident of Elijah where we see his triumph over the defeat of the prophets of Baal. Shortly thereafter we note his discouragement and flight away from the threats of Queen Jezebel.

"But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper-tree: and he requested for himself that he might die, and said, It is enough; now, O Jehovah, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers." (1 Kings 19:4 ASV)

Elijah has gone from triumph to tragedy. However, remember the Apostle Paul who penned these words through inspiration:
"And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Wherefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in injuries, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ASV)

We as Elijah had done are wont to forget where our power comes from. It isn't who we are, but who our God is. Our strongest point is often our weakest point as well. How often do people glory in their 'strong point' to their downfall?

Just because someone is a great hero, they are not perfect. Another scripture that comes to mind is: "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."(1 Corinthians 10:12 ASV)

All no matter how talented are only earthen vessels. Earthly role models are not perfect.
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves;" (2 Corinthians 4:7 ASV)

  • Often the problems come because of erroneous expectations. These can be our expectations for ourselves, or our expectations for others.
  • We look at the earthly human story and wonder what is wrong with ourselves and otherselves because we find ourselves struggling, or worse we don't understand the struggles others are suffering. 
There are some take aways here:
  • In I Kings we see Elijah in chapters 17 and 18 as strong, productive, victorious, and occupied.
  • In I Kings chapter 19 Elijah is weak and famished.
  • After being fed by God Elijah is then commissioned by God.
Quite a few years ago (and several times since) I heard a sermon pointing to the sins of different Bible heroes. How each had feet of clay, such as Noah being found drunken (one time after the flood). I'm sure it was meant to encourage each of us that everyone has those feet of clay. However, as a student in a ladies class where Job's wife's famous one time speech is found:
"Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still hold fast thine integrity? renounce God, and die."
(Job 2:9 ASV)

This dear lady said, "I sure hope I'm not remembered for one foolish statement I make out of my entire life."
Read Hebrews chapter 11. It's known as 'God's hall of faith'. Yes, God's heroes all were earthen vessels, but when it is all said and done, it should never be our weaknesses that define us.
James 5:17 tells us:

"Elijah was a man of like passions with us, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain; and it rained not on the earth for three years and six months. And he prayed again; and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit." (James 5:17-18 ASV)

You and I may be only one lowly person, but we need to remember it isn't who we are but who our God is. 

"Confess therefore your sins one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The supplication of a righteous man availeth much in its working." James 5:16

Hallelujah! What a Savior!  




No comments: