Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Few Good Men?

The Marine slogan was at one time: WE'RE LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD MEN. At least we knew what the Marines are looking for, but what about God?

This summer there has been quite a buzz about the second coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. I wouldn't at this time poke that hornets nest, but here are some thoughts on a related subject. There are many fanciful ideas about what the second coming will be like, but I offer the following  passage taken from the fifth chapter of Amos, one of the Old Testament minor prophets. Amos was not a professional prophet, nor a prophet's disciple, but a simple man from the land, a breeder of sheep. God, through this simple prophet warned the people that they needed to repent. They needed to turn to God and change their sinful ways.
  • Amos 5:18  Woe unto you that desire the day of Jehovah! Wherefore would ye have the day of Jehovah? It is darkness, and not light. 
  • 19)  As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him. 
  • 20)  Shall not the day of Jehovah be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it? 
Amos, Verses 18 - 20 : The day of Jehovah shall be darkness not light; a day of sorrow not joy. This will be true for the second coming of Christ for those not prepared
  • 21)  I hate, I despise your feasts, and I will take no delight in your solemn assemblies. 
  • 22)  Yea, though ye offer me your burnt-offerings and meal-offerings, I will not accept them; neither will I regard the peace-offerings of your fat beasts. 
  • 23)  Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. 
Amos, Verses 21 - 23:  These contemporaries of Amos were keeping the letter of the law, but not the heart. 
  • 24)  But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. 
  • 25)  Did ye bring unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? 
  • 26)  Yea, ye have borne the tabernacle of your king and the shrine of your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. 
In place of Jehovah God, they had made themselves God. Keeping the letter of the law didn't please God under the Old Covenant:

 Hosea 6:6  "For I desire goodness, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt-offerings."

 Doing good works can be good, but it doesn't get a person into heaven. What does God desire today?

Matthew 9:13  "But go ye and learn what this meaneth, I desire mercy, and not sacrifice, for I came not to call the righteous, but sinners." 

Mark 3:35  "For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." Hebrews 10:7  "Then said I, Lo, I am come (In the roll of the book it is written of me) To do thy will, O God."
     John 4:23  "But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth: for such doth the Father seek to be his worshippers. (24)  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth."

    God wants the sacrifice—not of burnt offerings, meal offerings, or peace offerings, but of a broken and contrite heart and obedience:
    • But the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote his breast, saying, God, be thou merciful to me a sinner. (Luke 18:13 ASV)
    •   "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven."  Matthew 7:21
    John 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.

    John 20:28  Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
    What a Savior!

    No comments: