Friday, October 22, 2010

s36

"I'm glad that you didn't go to the ball, but deceit isn't a good way around a matter. I don't miss the problems that came with school and playing sports. Angela, you live in a different society than I do. Your friends are--mostly--different."

"I don't have any real friends. You're the only one I can be honest with. You don't look at me...on the outside, and I'm not just the coach's daughter...I'm a person. To you."

He matched his steps to hers, and they walked on for a space. Angela wondered at the changes that had taken place in both of them. She had hardly recognized him as he rode past her earlier. Now as they walked side by side she stole an upward glance. How much taller he had grown in the last six months! His complexion had a ruddy, healthy glow, and coupled with his black hair it made his blue eyes all the more brilliant. The outside work and constant exercise had given him muscle on his wiry frame that most boys his age would not acquire for several years--if ever. Any other girl would have been shy and tongue-tied.

"Angela, I want to remain your friend. This isn't the only school you have been at..."

"No, and probably not the last," she pursed her lips in thought. "I found out why we left the other school in such a hurry."

"That is none of my business. I'm not into rumors and such things."

"It wasn't a rumor. I was somewhere and overheard something...but you are good like that, Gene. That's why I like you so much."

"I won't play with your feelings, or your heart either, Angela. We are both too young to be playing at grown up things. You know my family...a little at least."

"Yes, I do."

"We believe that religion is more than something you use. More than something you give lip service to...someone termed it as being archaic just a few months ago."

"I guess I know who," her brows drew together in a frown and she bit her lip. "But he doesn't speak for everyone. He doesn't speak for me..." Angela sat down on a park bench.

Gene snapped a lead shank on Garnet's halter and slipped the bridle off his ears hung it on the saddle horn. The horse dropped his head and began to graze.

"I believe...I believe that you believe he doesn't speak for you, but..." Gene turned back to the subject.

"No! No!" she shook her head violently and punched a small white fist into her other hand. "He doesn't speak for me. I don't want to...be like him. Or Mother for that matter. I just see their lives as empty."

"In what way?" his mind groped for the right question. "Empty--how is it empty?"

"I really don't know, but I look at things and think something is wrong."

The birds were beginning to build their springtime nests. There was a slight breeze stirring the new bush and tree foliage growing around them.

All I have to judge by is what's on the outside, he thought with a frown. He could not help but notice what was on the outside...how pretty Angela was in the light blue spring dress and cape. Her wide blue eyes imploring him to believe her words. Lord, help me, he sent a prayer heavenward.

"I do believe you, but I still have to judge by what I see on the outside," he spoke. "You know David Pickerel--he's our preacher--you remember. Whenever I have a problem, I go to David. He's got a way of helping me think out my own thoughts, my own answer...using God's Word. I don't know how, but you should contact David. It would be good for you to talk to him and Bessie..."

Ah-ooga! Ah-ooga! "Hey, Angela!" a male voice called from an automobile as it idled alongside the park sidewalk.

Garnet's head came up, but only with a curious glance as he continued to chew the grass in his mouth. Gene could hear several female voices laughing. He was cognizant of his farm clothing, and that he was straight from the fields. How embarrassing this would be for Angela. Her society friends would see him as a common laborer. He turned to his horse.

"I'm sorry I didn't think," he raised his hand to fetch the bridle from the saddle horn. "I'll slip the bridle back on over the halter..."

"No, wait," she put a soft white hand on his sleeve to stay his hand. "Give me a minute to send them on their way. I'll be right back," she turned and lightly skimmed over the new green grass and spoke to the people through the window of the vehicle.

He could guess that the occupants were boys and girls who just a few months ago were his fellow students. Some of the stray words from inside the auto wafted his way, and the voices were familiar.

"No. No, I will not come with you. I'm talking with a friend. No, I'm busy, and will be busy later as well." Gene overheard Angela reply. There was high pitched laughter then Gene distinctly heard Greg Bilker's voice loud and belligerent.

"I don't want to have anything to do with that countrified bumpkin! You'll be the laughing stock of Littleton High if you keep company with him..."

"I'll see you tomorrow!" she turned angrily from the automobile window and flounced back to where Gene had returned to the task of bridling his mount as the auto roared down the street.

"I'm sorry, Gene. They are rude and spoiled," she stamped her foot. "They make me so angry! I can't think of enough names for their behavior."

"No, it is I who should apologize, Angela. I didn't think, only that you might want someone to talk to. I didn't realize--I should have thought of your reputation, and how this would look."

"Gene Wade!" she stamped her foot again, "Of all the unreasonable ideas! I did need some one to talk to. I don't care what they think...or say for that matter!"

"But I do. I know who I am, and if they want to think of me as a farmer and someone who grubs in the dirt, well that's what I do--sometimes. But, you Angela, have to go to school with them. I will walk you back to your house, then I will wish you adieu."

"Gene," she raised her hand to his cheek.

"Angela, I wouldn't play with your feelings, nor your heart. I ask you for the same consideration."

"I'm sorry," she snatched her hand back. "I didn't think..."

"You didn't mean any harm. No harm is done. Come now, let's get you back to your home," he smiled, taking the lead shank they began the short walk back.

"Have a nice evening, Angela," he said as they stood before her gate. "Remember what I told you. David and Bessie...if you need someone to help sort things through. Very good people," he tipped his hat. "Take care," he said as he stepped into the stirrup.

"Gene?"

"Yes?" he continued to swing up into the saddle. He looked back down at her. "What is it, Angela?"

"Thank you. Thank you for being you."

"I don't know what else I'd be, but if it's helped?"

"It has," she smiled up at him.

"Good day, then," he smiled back. "Giddup," he neck reined Garnet around down the street and kicked him into a gentle lope toward home.

She had wanted to call after him, "Will I see you again?" but she knew it would be pointless to ask. His goal may not be to capture her heart--but he already had. She pulled her cape closer, and walked into the house.

No comments: