Friday, November 5, 2010

s38 Onward, Still Onward

"Man, that is born of a woman, Is of few days, and full of trouble," David quoted. "Job chapter fourteen and verse one tells us that."

"I know that," Gene shook his head. "But I sure am tired of all the...contention and fighting, and...I'm just tired of it! Seems like I want to be peaceable, but all the time somebody's always wanting to argue and fight! How in Jonah's whale do I avoid it?"

"I suppose you've tried..."

"Yeah, just walk away. That's what Uncle Jed says. It doesn't work...look at this black eye and tell me how well that works!" he scowled at his friend and made a hard left swing at the punching bag.

"I'd say it didn't work too well. Hmm," David rubbed his chin in thought. "I guess when you put it that way...another scripture comes to mind as well.

"Another scripture?"

"Yes, Romans chapter twelve verse eighteen says, If it be possible, as much as in you lieth, be at peace with all men."

"How does that fit? Instead of walking away do I need to walk faster?"

"The key here is--if it be possible, as much as it lieth with you--. You see, Gene, with some people it isn't possible to be at peace. If you read in First Kings chapter twenty, Ben-ha-dad sent to King Ahab and wanted all of his treasures. King Ahab said, 'Okay, it's yours,' but Ben-ha-dad sent again and wanted more than what he'd demanded the first time. King Ahab calls the elders together and says, 'look how this man seeketh mischief.' Some people are like that. You can bend over backwards to make them happy, and they just won't be."

"I sent Angela to talk to you and Bessie. I'm not even involved in this, but because she's been coming to church with you two I guess he thinks Angela and I are 'seeing' each other."

"Well, you do see each other, but as friends. People like Greg don't understand friendship."

"He has an automobile to drive, money to spend, and a few guys that follow around with him. I guess that's what he calls friends."

"I tell you what, I think we have some work to do. Let's get busy...and hey, you'll never guess who's coming for a visit in a couple of weeks..." David said holding the other side of the bag. "Start by giving this old punching bag the old 'one-two' business--watch your foot work now."

"I'm not real good at the guessing game...who's coming for a visit..." he began counting and punching.
*******************************************

"How is your mother doing, Spike?" Gene asked as they were filing out of church.

"Since I've been working regular she's been doing much better. Willie and Sam are stationed out in California. They're doing good. Real good. Ma was worried sick you know when they were threatened with charges after the trial. You know it all worked out though. They got enlisted, and them drill instructors...it turned their lives around."

"Yeah, I knew it went pretty hard on her. How about yourself, what are you going to do now?"

"I'm driving for the cannery and that's working well. Though I'm thinking of going to work for the airplane factory."

"We'd sure miss you. You would have to move wouldn't you?"

"Yes. I'd move Ma with me of course. With Pa gone--she doesn't have much to stay here for--I suppose I'd better be leaving," he turned to go as Angela approached.

"No, Spike, don't go..." Gene caught his arm. "Hello, Angela. Have you met Spike? This is Angela Dorking, --Spike...and Angela this is Spike Potter."

"Ah, hello miss...Miss Dorking," Spike turned scarlet, and sputtered. "Ah, glad to meet you. I was just leaving, so..."

"Oh no you don't," Gene laughed and spun Spike back around. "Angela, this is the most shy fellow. For all his size he's pretty much a lot of bluff!"

"Any friend of Gene's is a friend of mine," She held out her hand and smiled up at the homely face of Spike.

Gene noticed the genteel way Angela had of putting people at ease. He had also witnessed her ability to put others in their place when they stepped out of bounds.

"Good morning," Spike took his leave after a few moments of pleasant conversation, "Guess I'll see you later, Gene. You too, Miss, if you come this afternoon..." he touched the brim of his hat--this time without the inclination of the flight mode.

"Gene, I wanted to ask you a favor," Angela waited until Spike was out of earshot.

"I won't promise anything, but ask away," Gene said.

"Mother is giving a dinner party, and she wants me to ask a few of my friends."

"Angela," he hesitated.

"Gene, you're the best friend I have. I don't like these dinner parties, and I...I suppose you're busy," she answered with a resigned shrug. "I was just hopeful."

"If it means that much to you,"

"It's next Tuesday, if you could come?" hope had flamed back into her face.

"Yes, I'll come. Only if it makes you happy. I'm sure your mother will think I'm out of place," he scowled.

"Mostly Mother's dinner parties are very boring. People her age--her cronies from bridge--and father's friends. People that will advance their careers, or some such thing," she made a sour face.

"We certainly don't travel in the same circles, but c'est la vie."

"You have such a funny way of saying things..." Angela wrinkled her nose. "I never did do well in Latin, but thank you so much! I'll have Mother put your name down, and you'll receive your invitation tomorrow. I'll see you later!"

Angela felt like weights had fallen from her feet. She sat in the back of the Pickerell's Hudson. Her heart kept singing with joy. She did find those dinner parties hateful, but at least this one would be different. She leaned back against the gray upholstery. Thank you God, she repeated over several times. She had found friends in David and Bessie, and she enjoyed so much the lessons from the pulpit, but she enjoyed being able to watch Gene in his own world.

"Ready to go home?" David called in through the open door as he scooted little Eric in the front seat between himself and Bessie.

"Yes, thank you, Mr. Pickerell."

"Are you comfortable, Bessie?" he said helping her get situated.

"Yes, David," she said easing into position. It was close to her time of confinement before their second child was to make its arrival. This time she had no close friend who was also waiting, no one to anticipate with. She sighed as the door clunked shut.

"You look very tired, Mrs. Pickerell," Angela was brought out of her joyful haze with a jolt. "Are you alright?"

"I am tired, Angela, but I believe I am alright," she spoke with a smile and a reassurance.

Angela watched the church yard as other families exited the building and found their vehicles. An older couple were the last people out. They shut the door and turned the key in the lock. There were all ages here, even several young ladies the same age, or very close to, Angela's age.

Angela watched as Deidre Suko walked primly to her father's auto, and remembered the first Sunday she had met Deidre and her sister Sandra. She laughed at herself thinking how she had been slightly jealous of the two girls. It was not because they dressed better than Angela, but that Gene was so friendly and well acquainted with them.

"I hope you enjoyed your morning. Are you planning on attending this afternoon as well?" David made conversation.

"If you don't mind picking me up I would like to come."


"We can do that. We have singing this afternoon, so we should be by about five thirty. Will that be alright?"

"Yes," Angela hesitated slightly. She had forgotten about the singing. "Mother leaves for her bridge group about that time, but it should be alright."

"Angela, are you having...difficulty at home over your church attendance?"

"Only slightly," she said picking at her lace gloves.

"Would you like for me to come visit with your parents? Do you think it would help?"

"I don't know that anything will help," she blurted out. "They see themselves as more progressive, more advanced, and...I don't think there is any way to convince them different, Mr. Pickerell."

David could see the trouble in Angela's eyes as they looked at each other in the rear view mirror. That was one of her striking qualities, she was honest at heart. He found that to be ironic when he compared her to her parents who were two of the most self-centered and self serving people he knew.

"I tell you what. Bessie and I will lift you up especial in prayer. I'm sure all will work out well. It may take a day or two, but God watches over us all. We must have faith."

"You have a good afternoon, now," Bessie smiled over her shoulder at Angela. "Remember, we're praying for you."

"Thank you. Thank you so much," the troubled look was still on Angela's face as she slid out of the back seat. "I need those prayers," she took a deep breath, and closing the automobile door, she clutched her small white purse even tighter.

As they drove off down the street she walked up the steps from the sidewalk to their yard, through the gate in the white picket fence....

David turned at the corner and pulled up to the curb. "Let's have one of those prayers right now, Bessie. I'm so concerned for that young lady. I feel somehow that she is walking into the lion's den."
**********************************************

"Angela, when I said you should invite some friends for the dinner I didn't mean...well look here," Angela's mother angrily shook the invitation list at her. "I did not mean friends like Edgar Deering--and Gene Wade. Eileen Cantor--the banker's daughter and Jessica Crest--her father owns the new dry goods store in town-- well, they're good choices, but Edgar Deering! and Gene Wade! Just common..."

"Mother, can't I have even two of my own choice for friends? Not even two?"

"I've never liked the church you've been so adamant about attending lately. Mostly low class common folks. They're just greedy. They don't care about you...all they are looking for is your money. "

"My money?" Angela's eyes opened wide as she stared at her mother in astonishment. "What do you mean my...money?"

"Well," her mother stalled, "I mean look at your social class. Look at your father and I, and our social standing."

"Oh. I see," Angela's eyes narrowed slightly. There were a few ancient memories floating in her mind that were resurrected as she considered her mother's words. "But, Mother, it's only two people, surely they won't bother. And I would so like to have them." She smiled sweetly at her mother.

"I have important guests coming..."

"Only two..." she continued to wheedle.

"Only this once...I suppose," her mother gave in with a sigh. I could just kick myself for that slip, she thought. Angela's no dummy, and...
*************************

"Gene, I think you've grown another foot since last summer!"

"Oh, no, Aunt. That's not possible," he peeked around the parlor door which had been transformed into her sewing room for the next few weeks.

"I'm sure of it--look here are your measurements from last year--and here are the ones I just took--"

"I couldn't have grown another foot--look," he said standing in the door way. "Just look here, I still only have two feet--"

"Ha! Ha! Ha!" Uncle Jed guffawed from behind him in the living room. "He sure got you on that one, Agnes!"

"Oh, you two! Like two peas in a pod!" she rolled her eyes good-natured at their foolishness. "It won't take me long to have your clothes ready for tomorrow evening, but I'm still thinking I need to put a rock on your head!"

"What's that girl want you to come to dinner for anyhow?" Jed looked up from reading his paper. "You two don't even belong in the same social circles. We don't take to them parties and card playin' stuff," his forehead creased with his frown.

"I think she just needs a friend, Uncle..."

"Now, Jed, don't go giving the boy a hard time. He's almost sixteen. In a couple of years he'll be looking for a wife. You know we were young once too..."

"I hear Nissa waking up--I'll run up and get her up..." Gene left the two adults talking.

"Well, sixteen isn't eighteen, and eighteen isn't twenty-one--and he needs a good steady young lady. Not some body from uptown, who don't know how to do nothing. I bet she doesn't even know how to clean her house."

"Angela seems to be a nice young girl...not flighty like some I've seen," Agnes smiled thinking back on her own sisters, and some of the current young girls she knew.

"That's so," he said turning the page, "she's very helpful to Bessie. Pays attention to what's going on around her. Not like them bubble headed Gnash girls. Still, I bet she can't clean a house, nor make a meal."

"She doesn't need to. That's what they have their cook and the maid for. Ouch!" Agnes stuck her finger. "If I hadn't had Grandma Wade I wouldn't have had any training either...maybe she won't ever need to do cooking or cleaning...don't know that any of my sisters ever learned."

"Agnes..." Jed looked up from his paper, his reading glasses poised on the tip of his aquiline nose, "do you?"

"Oh, Jed!" she exclaimed in exasperation.

"I know, I know," he said with a grin. "Did I ever tell you just how gorgeous you are?"

"Jedidiah Wade did I ever tell you just how aggravating you are?"

"Nissa's done with her nap," Gene brought the baby downstairs. "I'll take her outside for a few minutes of play."

Agnes waited until the two had gone outside. "Look how good he is with Nissa..." she laughed. "Jed, I don't think Gene's serious about Angela. I think he's right-- she does need a friend, and that's all there is to it."

"That maybe so, but her coming to church of a sudden--looks a little suspicious."

"Bessie told me she and David have been praying pretty hard for her. They're concerned. When Dorkings first came to town remember how they were so friendly...until they found out where their bread would best be buttered."

"I've never figured out how they live so well on a teacher's salary."

"I'm sure they must have come from money somewhere."

"Well, they sure can spend it. Angela doesn't dress like a slouch."

"Jed!"

"I think it's time for me to go push Nissa in the swing..." he said laying his paper aside. "Before I get myself into that hot water," he folded his reading glasses up and laid them on the shelf above the clock.

Thoughts chased around in Agnes' mind as Nissa's laughter echoed from outside. Jed's words would not leave her alone. No, it was not wrong to dress in the latest fashions--as long as they were decent and modest. Scenes flashed through her thoughts. Agnes had caught Angela looking at Gene when she thought no one else would notice. Angela did not mingle with others from church, at least in the beginning she was more reserved. None of these things meant anything, really...or did they? What was it David always stressed? Pray about it...I'm going to ask Bessie what she thinks about this situation--Agnes decided. And pray about it.

No comments: