Saturday, February 19, 2011

41 In the Flying Machine...

The hullabaloo drew Walter's attention just before the jerk threw him sideways. He clutched desperately for the side of the plane to avoid being thrown to the ground.

"Oh, no!" David moaned.

"Oh, Lord, help!" the words escaped Gene's lips without conscious thought. A picture flashed through his mind of his new friend being thrown to the ground, or falling helplessly from the plane.

"They're gonna hit the fence!" Mitch and Ike hollered as they came running in time to watch the airplane gain speed. It bumped and swerved along the hard cow path for a spell as Walter fought to stay on board.

Albert flopped to the left side with the starting jerk. He continued to flail from side to side with every bounce and jerk. Attempting to right himself, he grabbed at every thing and anything...his eyes grew large in his long pale face as the fence at the end of the cow pasture began to race toward him.

"Oh, good Lord! My Pa's gonna kill me! he said with a loud groan as the momentum of the vehicle increased dramatically.

"The whole thing's gonna be busted up!" Mitch shouted.

"Well, I'll be ding..."

"That'll be enough young man!" Ike's father twisted his ear. "When we ought to be askin' the favor of the Almighty, there's no reason to go offendin' Him with foul language!"

The spunky little plane lifted clear of the fence by a hair's breadth, and skimmed over the head of the driver in the fancy automobile a few seconds later.

Ahhh Ooga! the horn bellowed as it careened down the road a short distance before it crashed into the ditch coming to rest at the foot of a scrubby, twisted tree.

The group on the ground watched in horror and amazement as the red and black airplane evened out and barely rose above the tree tops its motor buzzing.

"Pastor Dave, lead us in a prayer fer them youngun's," Mr. Stroll said as he removed his hat and bowed his head.

Every one bowed their head also as Mr. Pickerell began in his deep reverent voice, "Almighty God, we come before thee beseeching thee on behalf of those two young men suspended in your heaven. Be merciful and return them to us soon...and safely for it is in Jesus name that we ask--Amen.

"Amen!" Mr. Stroll nodded decisively. He clapped his straw hat back on his graying hair, and looked up into the blue sky expectantly.

"Well, looky there!" Ike shouted as the airplane circled back toward them.

Every one craned their neck watching as the plane flew overhead. It appeared as if Walter was perched half inside the plane still clutching onto--what they could not tell. They watched as it flew on north and made a wide swing and came back from the south. It looked like it was coming in lower, but still too fast.

"They's gonna take the weather vane off the barn!" Mrs. Stroll half screamed and ducked--although she could have known they were not going to hit her.

The next time around Walter was at the controls. The little airplane came in, touched down with a slight bounce, then settled into the business of rolling toward the group gathered in the barnyard. Walter cut the engine and sat head in hands.

Albert Bluey looked--if possible--more pale than when he had woke up after the filly had left him behind in the dust.

"Oh, gol..., I'm sorry Mr. Pickerell--Mr. Stroll," he stammered. "But, I am so thankful--! I'm so thankful!" from the look on his thin face he spoke the truth. "I'm so thankful," he repeated.

"Yes, we are all thankful. And I believe we've had enough adventure today. Let's get this contraption rolled back into the shed!" Mr. Stroll, David, and the boys took their places and maneuvered the little ship back into the shed.

"Alright, Albert we'll give you a hand, but step careful now," David instructed.

Albert's legs wobbled, but he stepped out with help. He half stepped and half slid his way to a bale of hay. He flopped down and lay back with a groan.

"How are you doing?" David called from the ground up at Walter.

"We had visions of...of...very bad things for a time there," Gene crawled up on the wing to speak to Walter, who had regained a portion of his composure.

"You had visions of...? You should have been dangling out over nothingness..." Walter said with wonder. He pulled out his white handkerchief to wipe his face.

"We prayed for you. God listened."

"So that's who put me into the seat. I thought someone must have heaved me in somehow," Walter sat quiet for a short pause. "Remind me to stay away from that--that--Nemesis--I've never seen any one get into as many...situations... as Albert there!"

"You don't know the half of it! I could tell you stories about Albert and the automobile. Albert and the cow. Albert and..."

Enough!" Walter threw up his hands. "Enough...I lived through Albert and the airplane. That's good enough for me--" At that Gene and Walter began to roar with laughter until tears streamed down their faces.

"I wonder what ever happened to those guys in the automobile," Walter wiped his face again. "You should've seen the driver's face!" he began choking with laughter. "His eyes looked like this--" Walter's eyes and mouth flew wide open.

"I gotta get off this wing...before I roll off...!" Gene went into hysterics as he clambered down to the ground. He fell back on the hay bales gasping for air. "Oh, hallelujah! What a day!" He got his breath back as Walter threw himself down on the bale beside him.

"Wal...I don't know what you two find so funny!" Albert's brown eyes looked much darker in his droll face. "I just don't know when I've ever been so skeered in my whole life!"

Gene elbowed Walter, "Show Albert the--the--the face!" he began to hoot all over again.

"You didn't get a look at that driver's face, Albert. I could have shook hands with him I was that close...and his face. I've never seen a face like--it was like this," and Walter's features flew into the look.

"That is kinda funny," Albert snickered, "but I think I've looked like that myself a time or two..." then they all three roared at the joke.

"Next time you go up, it might be wise to plan first, Albert!

"It wasn't my fault. I was just sittin' there mindin' my own business. It's that dumb mutt what's always slobberin' and barkin' at--everything!"

"David went down to check on the driver, and the occupants of the automobile. Maybe they'll stop frequenting this territory," Gene said.

"Maybe," Walter shrugged. "I say we've had enough excitement for one day, let's head on home."

"Yeah, I think you're right. Albert, if you want I'll give you a ride down to your corner..." Gene offered.

"I guess. I'm thinking I ought to just walk, but I don't know if my legs would carry me that far right now."

"I won't tell him this horse hasn't ever been ridden double," Gene whispered to Walter.

"Are you tempting fate or..." Walter rolled his eyes.

Gene just grinned in answer. "Let's ride then," he swung up on Samson then kicked his foot out of the stirrup so Albert could mount. Samson's ears flew back, his head arched down, but he stood his ground.

"Keep your feet off his flanks, and we ought to be all right," Gene spoke over his shoulder. The threesome rode quietly across the field taking the usual short cut, then half a mile to where the Bluey farm lane met the road.

"Here you are. It's not all the way home, but close," Gene waited while Albert swung down careful not to touch the flank.

"Thanks, Gene. It's closer than I was. See you tomorrow."

"Have a good night then, we'll see you later!" the boys waved then kicked the horses into a lope toward home.

"I knew those Stroll boys would get you two into some kind of mess! Oh, my!" Agnes sank down with a thunk. "What would we ever have told your parents, Walter Henrey!"

Gene raised his eyebrows at Walter as they exchanged glances. Neither one had expected Agnes to take the news so hard.

"Now--Mrs. Wade, it's all part of being a..."

"It's part of being a man, Agnes. You gotta get used to the fact. Walter--he's a grown up...young adult, and...?" Jed blinked away the visual image of Gene standing on a precipice--the verge of manhood. The idea hit Jed with a sudden wallop. He turned away to hide his reaction, and spied the three layer chocolate cake sitting on the counter. He reached for the knife, "Here, have a piece of cake, boys," he said sliding big pieces of cake on to plates.

"Jed, you'll spoil their supper," Agnes looked up startled.

"Naw! They're growin' boys--besides the way they're goin' we best let 'em have their cake now."

"Jed!" Agnes screeched then caught the ornery twinkle in his eyes. "Jedidiah Wade! Course you boys can have cake...my father used to say, 'eat your dessert first...'," Agnes fanned herself. "I'd say you two have had enough adventure for today."

"Thank you, Mr. Wade," Walter accepted the plate. "I don't think I've ever seen a more appetizing cake."

"This is really good!" Gene said. "It wasn't really the Stroll boys fault--or even Albert's," Gene stopped and took a bite.

"Really, Mrs. Wade, it was just--" Walter stopped to think. "I'd say, just dumb luck."

"I'd say 'dumb luck' happens too often with them two!"

"Yes, and Albert Bluey," Jed chimed in. "That boy--it 'pears to me--is always right in the middle of something!"

"Yeah, he can't help it," Gene said. "He isn't any dumber than most of us. I think he just has a knack."

"A knack?"

"He can be standing there minding his own life, and chance comes along and hits him alongside the head!"

"I don't think that's a good knack to have."

"Well, maybe not, but so far he's pretty close to a one talent man..."

"Oh, Nissa!" Agnes was teaching her daughter to use her spoon neatly. "Here, honey..."

"It's time for us to head out to the field. Won't take us long."

"Supper will be in about an hour and a half, so don't dally--" Agnes finished cleaning the cake off of Nissa's plate. "That's all, baby," she smiled and showed her the empty plate.

"Aww gone," Nissa repeated and held up her pudgy baby hands.
************************************

Walter lay awake in the night. With his eyes closed he still experienced the texture on the fuselage, the desperation of getting into the inside of the ship safely. He could smell the fear, and feel the adrenalin pulsing through his veins. Yes, it was funny, but there was more truth in his words than laughter. "Someone must have heaved me in somehow." Walter did not remember how he found strength to get into the plane. He remembered scrambling to gain a hand or foot hold, and then he was inside.

He opened his eyes to the dark. The conversation from the chess game came back to him..."I believe in God. You can't have something without a creator. Nothing comes from nothing."
*****************************

"I don't know how it happened, Agnes."

"What do you mean?" The rocker creaked softly on the porch boards. Agnes crooned a quiet childhood ditty, and Nissa, sleepy eyed, began drifting into sleepy land.

"What I mean is...have you looked at our boy lately?" anger and confusion smoldered in Jed's eyes.

"Well," Agnes drug the word out with a sigh. "Yes, I have," she smoothed the baby's fine tawny hair off of her forehead. "Yes, I have."

"He's growed up! When did...how?" he faltered his Bible resting on his knee.

"It's going to be powerful hard to let him go. That must be why God sent us Nissa..." Agnes continued to stroke the soft baby skin.

"Let him go?" His voice held a note of horror.

"Yes, let him go. God has a purpose for each of us. Our lives will always be twined, but the paths don't necessarily go parallel at all times."

"I guess I never thought..." the velvet darkness had settled around them.

"We saw a change when he came back from Europe. He settled back into our life so easy like, maybe we thought we could keep him here. But there was a subtle change on the inside, Jed. A change that was deeper than the fine clothes he wore."

"I don't see how he could be more of my son if we had birthed him ourselves. When you've suffered and worked, and--side by side--," he paused. "I know you're right. It's just, time has passed so quick. Gene's only sixteen...going on seventeen, but it's gone so fast. And I'm afraid of the future. The government goin' the way it is here at home. People's just plain foolish!"

"And what we can see of the rest of the world isn't reassuring. We thought the last world war was the one to end them all...awful, awful things," she said with a shudder.

"Things look to be darkening on all sides."

"It's time for bed. You want to take Nissa? I have some things to put away in the kitchen then I'll be up."

"Yes, let me have the little tyke," he put his Bible on the arm of the chair and took the baby from Agnes. Jed knew it was best to let the troublesome thoughts rest. Morning would come and things would look brighter then.

"This is the best bacon and eggs, Mrs. Wade, and these biscuits are so light! You'll have to give Mother the recipe for our cook--" Walter slathered homemade butter and plum butter on his steaming hot biscuit.

"I'm sure your cook has plenty of biscuit recipes, Walter."

"She may have, but none of them beat yours!"

"Well, thank you. That is so kind of you," she smiled with pleasure.

"I think today we'll just go...?" Jed began, but the telephone jangling interrupted him. "I don't know...who could that be?" he stumped out to where the telephone hung just inside the kitchen.

"Hello?!" he never had gotten the notion out of his mind that sound traveled over the wires and he didn't need to talk loud just to be heard. "Hello? Yes, Mr. Henrey! Yes, Walter's right here. Just a Minute."

"Yes, sir?" Walter held the receiver to his ear, and spoke into the mouth piece. "Well...yes, sir. Any time you are ready...Yes, I will be ready. I'll see you soon. Good bye," he hung up.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Wade," he turned to the family. "Father is going to be taking Mother for a 'pleasure' drive. They will be in Littleton for lunch and wish to stop out and pick me up early afternoon. Something has come up quite suddenly, and--"

"That is quite all right, Walter," Jed held up his hands. "I was thinking we could go fishing, but--God willing--there will be another time. Get your gear packed, and you boys better hurry around if there's any good bye saying that you need to do..."

"Thank you both. I have enjoyed my visit with you so much. Yes, there are several things I need to do before leaving. Gene, come help me pack..."

"Sure, I'll come with you. I've got something I want to give you..." the boys' voices faded out as they hurried up the stairs.

"I don't know--but it sounded urgent to me," Jed frowned as Agnes began clearing the table.

"Urgent? Why would it be urgent? Do you suppose it has to do with those rumors about the Dorkings...and Angela?"

"How would I know," he almost snapped.

"Jed! You don't have to be angry at me...I was just wondering aloud."

"I know, Peaches. There's just been so many queer things happening lately."

"We'll find out soon enough, I guess. I'll fix a nice dessert and plan on a small luncheon for when they arrive...just in case they have time for a visit..." Agnes thought out loud. "Just in case..."

No comments: