Tuesday, January 13, 2015

What's It Worth III

I began this treatise with the story of our yellow dog, Zeus. We've had numerous wonderful pets including dogs, and most of them grew old and eventually died.
Zeus was only one of them, but his indomitable spirit--the way he would look at me with that funny expression--and laugh. He'd laugh just as if he and I shared a private joke. And I guess we did. It made me sad, yet gave me wisdom. I knew he suffered greatly, yet enjoyment of life does not center around a pain free existence. Life is meant to be lived--like a full-flavored soup or stew--you need the bitter and the savory for a rich and delectable product.

In my writing course the instructor is teaching on the 'lie' in our characters' lives. Since we've just begun on this subject, I am not attempting to expound one way or other. I do however see that people--all of us at all ages have lies that we have incorporated into our lives.

The first woman, Eve, is told a lie: 
Genesis 3:1  "Now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2)  And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3)  But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. 4)  And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:"

It could be funny, if it were not so idiotic--but most people still believe this lie. Perhaps they would agree with the premise that they will die--just not today. And that day never comes, in their minds.

It is understandable for young children who, in their inexperience with life they don't have the ability to reason from point A to point C or D, but when people move into teen years and pre-thirties, it is more of the mind set that they are invincible--I'm too young to die--mentality. After thirty, people move into denial--I know it will happen someday, but that will be when I'm OLD.

2Kings 20:1  "In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live."

This question is on occasion asked of audiences: How would you live if you knew exactly that you had only so many days/months before you were supposed to die?

Here is another lie that people believe, and it comes in different shades:
  •  there is no God, 
  • we are all going to the same place, 
  • I'm not accountable to anyone but myself,
  • I'm a christian because...
According to the instructor of the course after a certain age the 'lie' is no longer a valid reason. A person can reason through things for them self. I would say I've seen many people taught these things when they are older, and for some reason they never can reason out of it. Even when you reason with them, they appear set to believe what they choose to believe.

You can point out to them that evolution is not a fact, but a belief system. In past centuries scientists believed not only that there was a God, the God of the scriptures, but that he created everything just as it says in the scriptures. They weren't stupid people--for example Sir Isaac Newton, one of the most renowned scientist of all time. They all believed there was a God, and many set out to glorify Him in their work. Only since the group of godless, atheistic scientists became the aggressive know-it-alls has it become mandatory for teachers to teach evolution, and children to learn AND believe it as a fact.
  • evolution has never been proven to be fact--
  • it has no basis in reality--
  • it is very destructive to people, and our society as a whole    
For the second fallacy, if people don't change their beliefs, yes they all will go to the same place--but it won't be a good place. Satan wants everyone to believe that lie--just like the lie that there is no God, and the lie that 'we shall not surely die'.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6
Jesus did not say, find your own way, or there are many ways, or any such idea. He said I AM THE WAY. The only way-- no man cometh unto the Father but by me.

You can believe that or not, but if you don't believe it you had best be prepared for the worst. We will all be accountable to God for our actions whether it's based on truth or fallacy:

Romans 14:11  "For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12)  So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God."

Another lie is that just breathing the air in this country makes one a christian. Or, just believing that there is a  God or believing something about Jesus makes them a christian.

No, what makes for a Christian is following in Jesus' footsteps. All the way from Jesus' baptism through his final days, His life was one of service, sacrifice, and obedience to God's will.


I'd like to leave you with this: Satan is the 'father of lies'. That's what Jesus tells us. These are some of the lies he wants us to believe:
  • We will never die 
  • we are all going to the same place 
  • I'm not accountable to anyone 
  • I can do it my way and still expect God to say 'well done'
  Don't believe Satan's lies.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
 

No comments: