Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Shattered Dreams

"But thou didst follow my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, patience, persecutions, sufferings. What things befell me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that would live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and impostors shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. But abide thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them." (2 Timothy 3:10-14 ASV)

We've endured the last few days snow, fog, and ice, but today the sunshine is powerful. It is shining and warming the earthly inhabitants. The trees had at dawn a coat of crystal, like shimmering glass. The sun is warming this layer that is so beautiful, and it is falling to the ground off the stems and twigs. Falling to lie on the ground beneath the trees, shimmering for the moment, but soon to melt into a distant memory. 

Dreams can be like that as well. We don't know what dreams the Apostle Paul held for his life work. He was a Roman born, and a Jew. Something of an oddity. He had learned at the feet of a highly respected and learned man of the Law, Gamaliel. Saul, also known as Paul, was a respected part of the Jewish system in his early life.
  • (Philippians 3:4)  "though I myself might have confidence even in the flesh: if any other man thinketh to have confidence in the flesh, I yet more:"
  • (Philippians 3:5)  "circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;"
  • (Philippians 3:6)  "as touching zeal, persecuting the church; as touching the righteousness which is in the law, found blameless."
  • (Philippians 3:7)  "Howbeit what things were gain to me, these have I counted loss for Christ."
He left it all when he found that Jesus was the Way (the Truth and the Life). He gave up a good life to be  hounded by 'Judaizing teachers' in his latter years. He journeyed much, teaching all, both Jews and Gentiles. He withstood hunger, cold, betrayal disappointment...in a word he suffered persecution from Satan and human sources.   

(2 Timothy 4:16 ASV)  "At my first defense no one took my part, but all forsook me: may it not be laid to their account. (2 Timothy 4:17)  But the Lord stood by me, and strengthened me; that through me the message might me fully proclaimed, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion."

"All forsook me, But the Lord stood by me..."

Sometimes the good life isn't the one we hoped for. Like ice crystals melting on the ground, the life we want may be transient, fragile and  worthless. 

(Matthew 6:33 ) " But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.(Matthew 6:34 ASV)  Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Hallelujah! What a Savior!


No comments: