Tuesday, November 17, 2009

From Grandma's Button Box

"Mom, I need a couple-a-buttons sewed on my coveralls."

"Oh, you do? Why's that?" I ask.

"They have gotten baggy, and they would be more...snug this way," he demonstrates--showing me where he wants the extra buttons placed. "Will you do that for me?"

Time, you know, is always short these days, but later in the evening I do indeed have him pull out my 'button box'--actually an 'antique' can with a screw on lid.

"Ho, buddy, what about this one?" I hold up a gold filigree button. His look of disdain and a short, "hmp" is his answer. I chuckle and continue to sort through the pretty buttons scattered on my table.

We do find two buttons, I mark where he wants them placed, and I begin sewing them on. I pause to look at the button box buttons still scattered where I left them. My mind wanders back to my Grandma's button box as I look at the many pretty buttons.

"There is a story of a young girl who made a necklace from pretty buttons from her mother's button box. There are stories of important people using their buttons as special signs to other people who have befriended them....

Matthew 13:47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind: 48) which, when it was filled, they drew up on the beach; and they sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but the bad they cast away. 49) So shall it be in the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the righteous, 50) and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth.

I am reminded of the 'net' that was cast into the sea and gathered of every kind. I can look through the button box, and indeed, there are every kind of button. From the intricate lacy gold button to the plain functional plastic button. There are many different colors, shapes, and sizes. I have every kind of button imaginable, but buttons, no matter whether fancy or plain, have a purpose.

"Oh, look--the shank is broken off this button. It is rather pretty, but it isn't any good!"

I have pondered over this parable of Jesus for many years. It wasn't until I was teaching a young girls class that I began to comprehend the message. If the kingdom--the church--is like unto a net that gathered of every kind, then when they sat down and began to 'sort through' the contents of the kingdom...

Many people believe that once they obey the gospel their ticket is punched for heaven. They are part of the kingdom and they are on their way!

Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God afore prepared that we should walk in them.

There seems to be two schools of thought: one--that we are saved THROUGH our own good works, or two--that we can't do anything to gain salvation. Well, yes and no. We can't EARN our salvation, but just like a broken button that is pretty, if we don't fulfill our purpose we are useless. As Ephesians says we are: "created in Christ Jesus FOR good works".

I want to be 'gathered into the vessels with the good', not like 'the bad they cast away'. Therefore, getting one's ticket punched is a good start. It is a necessary part, but it is only part.

Philippians 3:12 Not that I have already obtained, or am already made perfect: but I press on, if so be that I may lay hold on that for which also I was laid hold on by Christ Jesus. 13) Brethren, I count not myself yet to have laid hold: but one thing I do, forgetting the things which are behind, and stretching forward to the things which are before, 14) I press on toward the goal unto the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Let us continue to press on, lay hold, stretch forward--unto the prize, unto the high calling of God...in Christ Jesus!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed the button jars and have spent many times just looking and sorting them.

I thought your article was interesting.

Elizabeth H.

deboraw said...

Elizabeth, I always loved sorting through my Grandmother's button box also. I'm afraid many people don't know what a button box is any more. Thank you, and I'm glad you visited. Smile-- Deboraw