Monday, November 28, 2011

Platform...

"You {children} have the world by the tail, on a down hill slide!" My grandmother used to tease us. I have never quite figured out what she meant--exactly. It seemed at the time to mean, 'you children have life just pretty well near perfect--it couldn't get much better'. 'Down hill slide', of course would mean it was going like a sled on a good sledding hill. Sometimes though, it also means 'going down hill fast' as in things are getting much worse--fast!

Two years ago I attended a 'writers' conference', and I first heard/read that as a writer I needed a 'platform'. I will admit that I'm still scratching my head, attempting to understand the concept. I thought as a writer I sat down and began putting words on an empty sheet (or computer screen) and voila'! I'm now a...

Luke 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

As a Christian, and as a Christian writer--what should be my platform? What is my 'Father's business'?

For the moment--because when we stop to think on it we have different nuances to that question--let's consider the Old Testament:

Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 1Corinthians 10:6

Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. 1Corinthians 10:11

I enjoy reading and teaching about the Old Testament. There is much to learn from here. In the beginning it tells how the earth was created, how humans came to be sinful. Judges, Ruth, all the way through Esther shows how God deals with his children, all the way through the Old Testament scriptures it points to the Savior. And it does bring us to the New Testament:

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Galatians 3:24

History--we should realize that history is full of people, and full of their stories. We break the word 'history' into 'His story'--and it tells us how God deals with us, and what our relationship is to God.

But does that bring me to a platform? Sigh...unfortunately, no. I gather that a platform is supposed to be like a 'soap box'. Something that you stand on, in like manner as a 'bully pulpit', and tell people something they need to know.

From the perspective of 'my Father's business' there are many things this generation needs to know.

Number one thing this generation needs to know? God~ The society that we live in has swallowed the myth of evolution to the extent that it denies there is a true God. The concept of 'god' therefore was something that history-- ie. ancient people-- made up to explain our existence. Wake up world! Evolution is not a fact. It has not been proven, and not only that there isn't even a shred of evidence that supports it. It was invented by people who did not want to believe in God, and since they needed an explanation as to how the world came to be--besides the one of Genesis chapter one...they invented something. That something just happened to be evolution.

Number two thing this generation needs to know? Jesus~ 'As it is written, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." Romans 9:33

There have been enemies of the cross; enemies of Jesus all the way back in history. Satan attempted to snuff out truth, and salvation all the way back to the garden. Cain killed Abel the righteous son; the world was destroyed for wickedness, but there was still Noah...still--we are given Jesus the 'righteous one'. If Satan can discredit Jesus...and so it goes.

But where oh where is my 'platform'!?

So, I get a short conference with an agent. Knowing that I need a platform--a type of voice that says something to my audience, I want to catch the agent's interest. "My message needs to be heard..." I begin an introduction...

"Oh," he says, "publishers really aren't interested in platforms/messages. They are interested in what will sell, and what will make money..."

Sigh...I think I'll go back to John the Baptizer and his message--Matthew 3:2 "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

And the message of Jesus; Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

It may not be a popular platform, but it is scriptural...

No comments: