Sunday, November 6, 2011

Who's It All About?

What matters in life? How do we know what matters in life? If you are a young person certain things seem to matter that people older would no longer understand. For instance if you ask a soldier just returned from a tour overseas, 'what about the pimple on my nose?' They would think maybe there were other things more important, but to a young person the pimple is a real problem.

Perspective...it matters who you are and where you are in life.

Matthew 19:23 And Jesus said unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, It is hard for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24) And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25) And when the disciples heard it, they were astonished exceedingly, saying, Who then can be saved?

Looking at things from different perspectives can be like viewing a precious stone in the light.

An older friend of mine tells me, "When I was first a member of the church I was so envious of some of the other members. I just thought they had perfect lives," but she goes on to explain, "Then I got to know them, and I saw some of their problems, some of their struggles..." she shakes her head. "You know, I decided then and there I would not trade my few paltry problems for theirs. I'll just keep my life, and what I have."

From the outside vantage point other people may appear to have perfect lives. However, we need to be thankful for the lives that we have. Some people have the opposite situation. Their lives come across as a constant soap opera with problems oozing out of every corner.

'The buck stops here.' I do not know where the phrase originated from, but I do know what is meant by it. It means 'I have the authority to do what must be done, and I AM GOING TO USE IT!'

After reading an article about a child that survived an attempted abortion that sentiment was used. The child had been adopted by an --apparently-- loving family, and had been raised to be a responsible adult. She was now married, and now was expecting her first child. When as a teenager she had discovered the facts about her adoption as well as the attempted abortion, she had a mighty struggle in her emotions. Many questions, much anguish, but she overcame those feelings because, 'the buck stopped here' attitude.

In the same vein, I know of several cases that after coming from 'bad' situations, children grow up and decide on their own--this is not going to be repeated in my life, with my family...it stops here.

In the gospel of Matthew Jesus had just spoken to the 'rich young ruler'. He had just told him 'one thing thou lack'. (I wish I only lacked one thing to be perfect--sigh...but I digress...) The disciples are astonished...how hard is it for the rich to enter heaven? Who then can be saved? Their perspective was that when someone was 'rich' God was blessing them for the good things they were doing.

"If you give her the gospel, that will do more to bring her life up than anything else."

This is the point. Wealth does not get you to heaven. Jesus did not tell the ruler that his wealth had bought him a ticket to eternal life. The man was not a 'bad' person. In Mark 10:21 the text reads: 'And Jesus, looking at him, loved him', but he did have something standing between him and the eternal life he sought--his unhealthy love of his wealth.

Another point--poverty doesn't get you to heaven either. While it is true that the gospel can change or upgrade a person's life, it only works to the degree that it is applied. It is like medicinal ointment. If it is only left in the jar, no matter how lovingly it is looked at or fawned over--it will do no good unless it is applied.

Pride can be a problem whether one is rich or poor. Some have suggested that the term, "needle's eye', refers to a small door in the side of the wall surrounding Jerusalem. It was such a small door that you could only enter with the clothes on your back, and a person had to bow down to squeeze through.

Matthew 23:2 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, 3) so practice and observe whatever they tell you--but not what they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

If you want to upgrade in life, begin by taking responsibility for your failures. Apply the gospel, like medicinal ointment let it work in your life. Some times it may be painful, or it may cause a struggle in our lives.

Life will have problems, just don't let the problems in life be self-inflicted. When we are obedient to God, we must let God lead our life. Not in miraculous ways, but in honesty and truth. When Jesus tells us, 'Seek ye first the kingdom of God,' that is what he wants us to do...seek first the kingdom of God...

No comments: