Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gardens: Post Four

Spring type weather in this year of our Lord, 2012 is precocious. We don't generally plant corn (of any kind) until April, but some reports have been heard that in a few locations a least, there is some corn up. It is a gamble of course. All it would take is a freeze and their corn would be lost.

In Iowa our 'frost free' target is May 8th/10th (also known as 'vine' day, for when people can plant their 'vine' crops. Crops such as cucumbers, watermelons and squash.). We very seldom get a freeze after that date.

In order to get a good garden--for me at least--I start some of my own plants inside. I do this for a number of reasons. It is more cost effective for me because I grow more than most gardeners, and starting my own plants offers me the option for varieties you will not find in the general greenhouse market. This year will be a challenge as we are attempting to expand from just growing for our family to growing for fresh market as well. Therefore, before the end of January I have finished my seed selection and ordering and received most of my selections.

Starting my seeds goes like this: I purchase seed starting 'medium', or soil mix.
Not all are created equal. I look for something from a reputable company. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I do want it sterilized, and I don't want fertilizer in it. Sometimes it is difficult to find with out the fertilizer. I have used it anyway, but I want the seedlings to develop a strong root system, and they don't need fertilizer until they have developed their first set of 'true leaves'. The first leaves aren't their 'true leaves', the second leaves are true leaves.

In the past I have used flats--long black plastic trays, and grow packs--smaller sectioned plant packages usually sectioned into 6 or 9 individual cells, for starting my plants. I fill the grow packs with the wet soil mixture, and gently but firmly push the mixture into each individual spot filling the cell until the pack is about half to 3/4 full. I drop two seeds into each space, cover with more soil/mix, push in firmly and water again. I label each grow pack either with a homemade marker, or a boughten one, set it into a flat. (That's the long plastic tray. I prefer flats that don't have drainage holes.) When I'm done I should cover the newly seeded packs with a paper or plastic to keep the moisture in. I don't always, but it is important to keep it moist. Usually the seed packet should give a ball-park figure of time in which it should germinate. *Do not use tap water, or water with chlorine (etc.) or water softener softened water. Some say if you take tap water and let it sit in the sunlight for ?24 hours? that takes care of all the additives. Or you could purchase purified water from the store...





Now, above should be a picture of plants that I started first. They were begun at the last of February and beginning of March. The next picture should be a picture of the cold frame that Chris made for me.





*note: Chris made this small cold frame with some salvaged lumber and leftover windows. I found some Styrofoam lying about that just fit in the bottom of the frame, covered it with a black plastic trash bag, and voila! It works well. Flats are, as I said, long plastic trays that the grow packs nestle in, unless you are like me. I scavenge things, so that I end up with various and sundry shapes of flats (that I have brought home from the store. Forlorn plants that were about to be discarded). Their original grow packs nestle in them fine, but the next year when I reuse them...my old grow packs don't always match.

In February I start the peppers. They germinate slower, and take more time. So, even though they will not be ready to set out until the weather is settled, they are the first to be started. In times past I have seeded peppers, tomatoes, and cole crops (cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower) all at the same time.

The peppers germinate slowly, tomatoes will germinate within the second week after seeding, about two weeks for most of them. Cabbage and it's com-padres will usually germinate within the first week. Egg plant, on the other hand, needs to be started with the peppers. So that starting them all at the same time can work if you are going to be able to transplant the cabbage early enough. And Tomatoes can be set out in April if you can cover them if needed. (Because of the weather. My next post deals some with weather, etc.)



These two pictures show my homemade calendar. I have taken a roll of butcher paper and tore it into large sheets. Labeled and made into months with large enough spaces to write in. The idea behind this is because this is more than a one person project. I can write my projection as to what to plant and when, as well as how many days and when to start looking for the harvest. In this fashion, if I happen to be absent for some reason...whoever the helper is can look and say, 'well, here we are!'



Some of my pictures are out of sync, and not being real computer savvy, it is easier for me to tell about the picture, and with any sort of success ~smile~ the dear reader can put two and two in the right place. LOL (Laugh out Loud...)



Levi was my photographer of choice today, and he shot some extra pictures of my lovely comfrey. The last three pictures are of my 'experiment', and some of the sprouting plants.




Last year (2011) I used flats and grow packs and my plants came out quite well. In some years, -and this happened to some extent this year-, I have had 'leggy' plants that were rather tall and spindly. Since the weather has been so nice, I put them out in the cold frame early. The increase in light really seems to be the main source of remedy.

*Another note: When the plants get the leggy look I try spooning more starting mix around them. This year I have started an experiment in order to combat the 'leggy' problem. Chris is thinking that the first year our truck-farm began (20+ years ago) a local greenhouse started some plants for us in flats, and when they got large enough they transplanted them into the grow packs. Since all of my flats are occupied, I'm wondering, what do I have that I can improvise with? It's in the genes...it comes from the long line of farmers in my ancestry. The idea that farmers have long been known for making things work using baling wire and twine.

I have taken a box in which we bring home frozen meat from the locker, lined it with a black plastic trash bag, put in sections with strips of cardboard, and...




well, we'll see how it works. This is how I laid it out, and some sprouts can be seen peeking through the soil, if you look carefully.



For the sake of brevity, I will bring this post to an end for the time being. It does seem that this is a long story, and there are many aspects yet to cover.

Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days. 2) Give a portion to seven, and also to eight; for thou knowest not what evil shall be upon the earth.

No comments: