Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gardens: Post two

So, what do you look for when you are looking in those wonderful catalogs? Everything in the catalog looks great. There are no insects, no disease, the leaves and fruits are sooo tempting, especially in the month of January.

Years of experience are invaluable, but if you're short on that area here are some tips:

What are you hoping for? This may sound like an odd question, however, if you only want a few salad vegetables, or you like preparing certain dishes, or perhaps you are into herbs, whatever it is, you need to define where you are going. A patio garden could be what you are looking for, or a large garden plot.

Look over the area you intend to use for your planting. Take stock of your area. What types of plants will grow in your area. Most garden catalogs have a map that tells you what 'area' you live in and the range of plants that will grow/survive in your area. Mostly that would have to do with trees, bushes, and plants that last for years. Most vegetables are only grown for a one year cycle in our area. However, in some states/countries the growing season may not be as pronounced as ours, or it may be a shorter growing season.

Some terms to know would be: perennial- lasting, something that doesn't need replanted yearly. Biennial- a plant that lasts two years. Annual- needs planted every year.

Knowing plants and their growing conditions or necessities is also a must. We are currently in the spring of our year. Today is cool and rainy. I would not even consider trying to plant watermelons today. I know they wouldn't survive. Watermelons like hot weather and will not withstand a frost. Most plants won't stand a frost, but...

Cold weather crops would be things such as peas, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, turnips, probably kohlrabi...my comfrey always seems to like the cool weather as well, but I'm not sure of any other of the herbs. Sage seems to do well, but is slower at greening up in the spring. Lettuce is early, but not as early as the spinach. Spinach 'bolts' (goes to seed) in hot weather, so it is definitely a cool weather plant.

Peas: the varieties I prefer are the edible pod peas. Years ago I grew the standard English Pea such as Green Arrow, Alderman, Lincoln...but after I shelled them, what had begun as a huge bucket turned into a couple of quarts. Which is another factor in deciding what to grow... time factor.

I like the edible pod peas because they fill my pot faster and there is less waste. I purchase the Super Sugar Snap, and the Sugar Sprint because the pods are plump and sweet. There is a flat pod edible pod pea as well, but I don't prefer those as I have found they are more difficult to wash and clean.

Spinach...I'm not real picky about my spinach. I like Bloomsdale, have used Skookum frequently. I like spinach and it seems most of it is the same. (Any of you readers that would like to weigh in on varieties, feel free to add comments).

I will say right here, I have not had a lot of success with Brussels sprouts. I do like them, but have only tried growing them twice and neither time were they a roaring success. It was a 'time factor' thing for me. I didn't have the time to perfect the technique. Carrots are another thing that I have not had lots of success with, but I do persist in trying with carrots. Carrots don't take a lot of time, or space, and if I would take more care with them they would do better. But carrots are not a cool weather crop, so more on them later.

Cabbage- this year I am trying three new types of cabbage besides one old stand by. Three varieties are from Twilley Seeds and one red cabbage is from Johnny's. I have never tried red cabbage before, but since we are planning on selling fresh market vegetables this year, I decided to add two red cabbages to my repertoire. The first is an early red: Red Express from Johnny's Select Seeds. It is supposed to be a '63 days (this is from time transplanted into the garden/field not start time from seed). The second was chosen for late summer/fall harvest and is Super Red 115 (it is rated at 115 days from transplant time). The third is an early type of green cabbage 'Charmant' at 52-64 days. These last two as well as my old standby, Solid Blue, are from Twilley Seeds.

Brassicas-- I have been searching for several things in my broccoli and cauliflower. Every year I have been hopeful, so maybe this year is it? Broccoli hasn't been too bad, but I'm always looking for nice large heads. This year I have Blue Wind, Arcadia, and Green Magic from Johnny's. Blue Wind was recommended at a work shop I attended. It is an early variety, I chose Green Magic because it is more heat tolerant. Therefore I'm looking for it as a 'through the summer' variety, and Arcadia was chosen because it tolerates cold well. Hopefully it will extend the fall season.
Cauliflower is a picky vegetable that sometimes requires more fussing with than I have wanted to give it. Last year I ordered Broccoli and from Seed Savers and must have had some maverick seed in the package. I had a few heads of broccoli and cauliflower that were not something I had ordered. I am believing that the cauliflower was a 'Snowball' type, consequently--this year I have ordered an Early Snowball cauliflower from Seed Savers.

I like the old fashioned turnips, Purple Top White Globe. We eat turnips raw, peeled and sliced, or I will peel them, cut them up and boil lightly. I don't drain the liquid off, I put some butter in the liquid, some salt and pepper. I make a paste with water and corn starch and slowly add that to the liquid for creamed turnips. If I have cheddar cheese I will also add that to the creamed turnips. This is a favorite and we don't seem to have it often enough according to certain people in our house...smile.
*note: wash the dirt off turnips, cut the top and root off. To peel, I cut two light lines down from top to bottom of turnip. With knife I grasp that section of peeling and pull it off. I continue to cut a light line in the peeling and pull off until the turnip is completely peeled.

Coming next: starting seeds inside, more on cool weather 'crops', and growing tips...I will leave you with this thought from the scriptures:

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. 20) Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Ephesians 1:2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: