Thursday, April 17, 2014

No guarantees

In life there are no guarantees...the same situation that may lead to grand heights of accomplishments, may as well lead to failure.  Or at least a failure of sorts. 

When I was a youngster my cousin and I were being --youngsters.  We were running down the forest path (think Little House in a big woods) and me spying a branch hanging out over the path, and believing I could fly, I jumped up to grab the branch and swing on it.  The end of the matter was that, of course I couldn't fly, and although I was close that didn't count.  I landed with a thud flat on my back gasping for air. 

Did I fail?  In a real sense yes I did.  I made a split decision that didn't turn out well.  However, there were several lessons learned from the incident.  I learned my physical capabilities had limits, I learned that split decisions are not always good things--consider your actions more carefully, and I also learned when you fall down on the path of life...get up.

My cousin's favorite words to me during childhood must have been, 'Are you alright?' because of the numerous times I did something that left me gasping for air, or black and blue from the experience.  Being foolishly fearless is not a virtue. 

2Peter 1:5  "Yea, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply virtue; and in your virtue knowledge; 6)  and in your knowledge self-control; and in your self-control patience; and in your patience godliness; 7)  and in your godliness brotherly kindness; and in your brotherly kindness love. 8)  For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to be not idle nor unfruitful unto the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

These are virtues.  Real attributes to strive for and emulate.  Many times on the path of life we encounter situations that demand we make decisions.  Most often where our focus is will determine where our future is.  Virtue is a nebulous quality that we know what it is, but it isn't easily defined.  I think of the virtuous knight, or a virtuous saint, someone above reproach.   Virtue helps us make right (irreproachable) choices in life.  We need knowledge, self-control, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love in order to make virtuous decisions, and the foundation knowledge is of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

In 2Timothy 1:7  we are told: "For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline."

There is a difference between foolishly fearless, and the fearlessness that God gives us.  So, as you run down the path of life remember strive for the virtues that will lead you to make right choices...and if you fall down on the path of life...get up.

No comments: