Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Average and...God

   Something evil is chasing me.  In my dream I am running, running, putting forth all of the effort that I can possibly muster.  What ever the evil is that is chasing me is gaining.  It is moving swiftly, and is reaching out to 'lay hold on me'.  I, however, am running with all my might, but--in slow motion.  I just can't move fast.  I must have lead blocks on my feet...I can't move them. Wait a moment!  --I don't even know how I wandered into this dream. I don't like it...it's time to wake up.  Whatever was chasing me...I left it behind...but...

   I have days that all I seem to do is run, not in slow motion, but with all of my might.  At the end of the day when I am ready for sleep...it looks like I've been running in slow motion.  I  can't remember a lot of accomplishment. 

   "So, what have you been doing this morning?" my son asks.

   "Well," I hesitate, trying to recall what I've been doing, "I brought the checkbook up to date, put bills in order, and got the ones that need sent ready..." what a relief, I not only have done something tangible, but I can remember what it is!

       The more I study and read the scriptures the more fascinated and amazed I am at their wisdom, beauty, and instruction.  How the creator took average human beings and changed them into heroes--warriors--magnificent leaders.  What made them different?  They were willing to allow the creator to finish the work that he began in them.

   Birth is only the beginning of our sojourn here; death is only the beginning of the rest of our existence...there.  What do we see our paltry few years here as?  A time to...live it up?...or to refine our soul and fit it for eternity? 

   Turning our lives over to God.  For Moses it was the burning bush.  For Joseph it was when he was sold into slavery.  For Daniel?--perhaps, when he and his people were taken into captivity.  God, in one way or another, gets their attention.  But at what point will it be when we realize it isn't about us...it's about God and His will. 

   "Well, you know, we have to witness to other people.  We have to tell them what God and Jesus has done for us," my religious friend and I are talking.

   What is a witness?  Well, A witness is a person who was present or saw something them self that they can tell about.  A person who can give evidence. 

   If you believe something strongly, even if your belief is based on something false, it can impact your life.  A good Buddhist, a good Hindu, and those of other 'religions', can be 'good', most religions have an 'element' of good.  And those people can 'witness' about what their religion has done for them, and what it has the ability to do for you.  Christianity has the power to change lives today, but...is that what our 'witness' is?  If these other religions can change lives today, why then...it doesn't really matter...we can all find our way, just taking different paths.

    But wait!  There is a problem...1Corinthians 15:19  If we have only hoped in Christ in this life, we are of all men most pitiable. 

   John 20:28  Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 

   You see, Thomas had a problem with the report of the rest of the disciples.  He had seen a crucified Lord, one that was...dead.  Now they are telling him, no, indeed Jesus is alive. 
"No," Thomas says, "I won't believe unless I see and..."  When Jesus appears to them all, Thomas' response is awe and worship: "My Lord and My God!" 

   And Jesus responds: John 20:29  “Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.”

   Yes, I do believe, but not because of what Jesus has done for my life, not because of what he can do for-- not just my life-- but others as well.  It is not because I've SEEN any of these things written in the scriptures.  I have not witnessed these things first hand, but I believe the testimony of the ones who WERE eye witnesses. 

   John 20:31  but these are written, that ye may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God;....  I do believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. 

   This is what sets Christianity and following Christ apart from any other religion--good or bad.  Because-- John 20:31 "...and that believing ye may have life in his name." --one word: salvation!  Jesus has set us free, given us hope, and the chance for ETERNAL LIFE...WITH HIM IN HEAVEN. That’s something no other religion can do.     1Corinthians 15:57 "but thanks be to God, who giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

 

No comments: