Saturday, September 20, 2014

Balm in Gilead II

   "There is a balm in Gilead to heal the sin-sick soul; Sometimes I feel discouraged and think my work's in vain".  Very few people can say they have never been discouraged. 

   2Timothy 1:15  "This thou knowest, that all that are in Asia turned away from me; of whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes." 

   2Timothy 4:16-17 "At my first defence no one took my part, but all forsook me: may it not be laid to their account. 17)  But the Lord stood by me, and strengthened me;”

   The apostle Paul-- such a great inspiration-- yet even he felt sadness, and rejection at times.  We can hear his sorrow in these verses.  'All forsook me'.  Yet it is during just such times as these that we can learn more about--and draw closer to--the 'true balm of Gilead'.  

   Ephesians 3:16 "that he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, that ye may be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inward man;"

  As a Christian, one who has been washed by the blood of the lamb, and risen to walk in newness of life, added to His body, the church, I have the right and confidence to lay my sorrows at His feet and ask for strength and power.  Some days getting back up and continuing on is a triumph.  Proverbs 24:16  “For a righteous man falleth seven times, and riseth up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.”

   "If you can't sing like angels, if you can't preach like Paul...."  Well, as I get older, I'm afraid my 'joyful noise unto the Lord', doesn't always come out exactly as I plan it.  And I consider myself as Mary and many women in the Bible describe themselves, 'a handmaid'.  I wouldn't even think of giving myself 'airs' that I am anything other than a servant of the Lord.  But each person is responsible to do their part.

   James 5:13  “Is any among you suffering? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing praise.”

  Hey, I can do that!  "There is a balm in Gilead to make the wounded whole; There is a balm in Gilead to heal the sin-sick soul...." 

   *note: Song from; Praise For The Lord; There Is a Balm In Gilead--Work's Folk Songs of the American Negro, 1907 (st. #2Daniel March, 1868, Ref. Revivalist 1868.

No comments: