Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Have We Forgotten?

"If you take of the Lord's Supper every week...doesn't it become...old?" my friend asks incredulous.

The Lord's Supper was instituted 'on the night he was betrayed' so it is 'old', but what she means of course is--doesn't it become redundant, habitual, have no meaning.

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and gave to them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

"I'm starved, mom!" my son says to me.
"Really, my son? I hate to tell you this, but quite honestly, honey--you don't appear starved." I say shaking my head.
"Well, it's been several hours since we ate," he answers indignantly.

How ironic that the very things we should do--the things which are so very important--we blow off as if they aren't important. We don't forget to eat--usually--we don't forget to watch our 'favorite' t.v. shows, listen to...well, we know what we count 'important'.

When does something become important?
"We should all be on our knees, praying fervently. Our country has become more and more wicked, and God will not tolerate such evil for very long. We are in trouble, my friends. But we have so many 'things' happening, and we are so busy, we just don't have the time! Listen, when 9-11 happened--everything stopped. People suddenly found time. We need to find time now BEFORE something else happens--something that could be far worse."

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."
Thomas Jefferson

"So, why do you wear your hair long?" an acquaintance asks.
Truthfully, some days I do things because that is the way I've always done something. It's convenient and comfortable. Some times I do things because that's the way I like it...then somethings I do things because that's the way I'm told to do things.

"Women who wear their hair long are lazy," the hair dresser tells me. "They don't have to 'do' anything with their hair."

Funny isn't it? Most folks say they don't like long hair because it takes too much time.

"When I was young my mother had such long beautiful hair. Then, when she took a job at the post office, she cut it. I cried and cried, but of course she couldn't take the time when she took the job..." Ernie tells of a happening back in the 1930's.

1Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

Styles in hair and clothing change through the years...some for the better...some for the worse.

"I love your hair!" a sister-in-Christ exclaims over another woman as she comes into the assembly.

I look at the new comer, and I wonder-- hasn't that sister ever heard of Revelation 21:8? She can't possibly 'love' that hair style. Its short spikes stick up all over. The total affect is not quite like the Joker in a Batman movie, but it does have a hint of something macabre. Does THAT really belong in the assembly of Christians? Who are we glorifying? Maybe we are glorifying the society we live in (we have become like the nations around us?) or maybe we are trying to glorify ourselves (even if we miss the mark). However, we aren't glorifying our maker nor our Lord, Jesus Christ.

1Peter 3:15 but sanctify in your hearts Christ as Lord: being ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, yet with meekness and fear:
Many folks never question why they do certain things, nor do they question what they do. They do what they do--because....

I reach for what looks to be our first ripe tomato of the season. It is red and looks just right, but as my hand closes around it...the part I cannot see is squishy and rotten. Yuck! I pitch it over the fence. How disgusting! I think-- Lord,-- I begin talking to the Lord--that is awful can't this garden do better than that?! Why....-- But a small voice in my conscience says, "Did you pray for this garden? Did you ask a blessing on it? Why do you expect a blessing on and from this garden when you--yourself--did not think enough about it to pray for it?

Yes, that was a sobering thought. We should know that God cares for His children, and takes thought for their welfare...even in the small things.

Luke 12:6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pence? and not one of them is forgotten in the sight of God.

"Take care of your pennies; and the dollars will take care of themselves!" my Grandmother used to admonish. How true, but we often lose sight of that idea. "Well," the woman shrugs, "I don't think God will judge me in this matter." A small thing, the length of her hair. Maybe he won't, but wait...

"An outward manifestation of an inner grace." Luke 16:10-11 He that is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much: and he that is unrighteous in a very little is unrighteous also in much.
11) If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

If we are not careful in the way we present ourselves to the world...if we don't look and act as Christ would have us look and act, but we present ourselves to look and act as the world around us...then Christ in us is useless. If instead of setting the standard for the world, we only follow the world's standard, something is wrong.

God didn't create a unisex world. He created...and wants...men to be men and women to be women. Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto Jehovah thy God.

Matthew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye tithe mint and anise and cumin, and have left undone the weightier matters of the law, justice, and mercy, and faith: but these ye ought to have done, and not to have left the other undone.

Those who profess Christ, were buried with him in baptism, were raised to walk in...well what were we raised to walk in? In the ways of the world around us? In the same old way we were walking in? Raised to walk in our own way--the way we want to walk?

Romans 6:4 We were buried therefore with him through baptism unto death: that like as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also might walk in newness of life.

Hmm. In newness of life. I look at my life differently now than before I was a Christian. The clothes that I wear, the length of my hair, my speech; I try to bring all things into harmony with the Word of God and how he would have me live.

"Why do you wear your hair long?"

Because I like long hair...and because my husband prefers it. It is supposed to be a woman's 'crown of glory'. It sets me apart from most women of the world. And when did long hair... on women become such an oddity?

Have we forgotten? 1Corinthians 6:20 for ye were bought with a price: glorify God therefore in your body. Why do we do the things we do? Partaking of the Lord's Supper every first day of the week doesn't cause it to lose its potency...doesn't make it 'old', attitude is a dangerous thing.

Matthew 26:39 And he went forward a little, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass away from me: nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.

I am afraid for Christians--not just the women. We do things from habit, not questioning our self, not examining our self --if we are walking in the light. Yes, we should 'rise to walk in newness of life', and that should be according to the will of God. We often fall back into living the life we lived before we became new. Much of that life didn't seem really bad so we never question how much of it we need to change. We would be shocked if a thief still practiced thievery, or any such sins. Are there perhaps things we accept as 'alright' things...but they aren't?

Christians need to wake up. The man was right...we do need to be on our knees praying fervently. We need to make--take--time now...before we find ourselves on our knees for an entirely different reason.

Matthew 26:39 "...nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt." Luke 22:19 "...This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me."

Lest we forget...Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

2 comments:

josiah said...

well said!

deboraw said...

Josiah, Thank you. Have a nice day. Deboraw