Friday, October 10, 2008

If I Had One Day

There are many cliche sayings. We've heard tons of them, such as: 'Today is the first day of the rest of your life', 'Make each day count', 'Live each day as if it were your last'. These are all good sayings, and there is much truth to them, but we hear them so often they just lose the punch that they once had.

"The doctor told me I was very sick. He said I was...he said I was going to die," the speaker relates. "Well, he only gave me a few months to live, and I decided...well, why not...I'm going to do some things--not bad things you know--just things I always thought I would do 'some day', and had never found time to do."

You are surprised at this because the speaker looks healthy and vibrant. "So, how long do you have now?"

"That's the funny thing. That was ten years ago. You see, when I thought I was dying that's when I began to live."

"Just what do you mean?"

"Well, my wife and I took a cruise. That was one thing I wanted to do, you see. I left my stress and problems behind...and on the cruise I took up photography. It was an old interest, but it had been pushed into the background. And, well, one thing led to another. I really enjoyed what I was doing, and it started to become profitable. I had left my old job...which I hated...to prepare to die. I found a new job, and a new life. The doctor--he was amazed, said it was a miracle."

This person was told he only had a short time. How many live their lives thinking they have 'forever'-- putting off things they would like to do for the day they retire, only to retire and die shortly there after?

James 4:14 whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. What is your life? For ye are a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15) For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall both live, and do this or that.

We know that doing evil things is not good, but with the thought of if I had one day what would I do? Evaluate your life. What would you change...for good...in your life? What talent/talents has God given you that you aren't using in the way God would want you to use them?

Often people search for happiness EVERYWHERE except where it can be found.

1Thessalonians 4:11 and that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your hands, even as we charged you; 12) that ye may walk becomingly toward them that are without, and may have need of nothing.

Do you know people...or maybe you have the problem yourself...that seem to be frantically searching for peace EVERYPLACE but where it can be found?

In this situation these folks need to sit down with themselves and have a long prayer. Ask: What do I want? Why am I not only still searching, but still not happy? Happiness and peace will not be found 'in the world', or as Solomon says 'under the sun', or quite plainly 'apart from God'. Striving for peace and happiness will only be as it is described in Ecclesiastes 1:14 "I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind."

Apart from God, all is vanity and striving after wind. Ask: What does God want? That is the important question.

What changes can you make in your life that will--in accordance with God's will--benefit you and your family. What changes in your life will move your life toward peace and harmony with God?

The fellow at the first of the tale never became 'rich'. The job he gave up that he 'hated' was a well paying job. The one he enjoyed... although profitable...never brought in the 'big bucks'. But the one he enjoyed gave him more than the one he left. The one he enjoyed gave him not just a living--it gave him satisfaction, and it gave him his life back. Priceless.

Psalms 62:5 My soul, wait thou in silence for God only; For my expectation is from him. 6) He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my high tower; I shall not be moved. 7) With God is my salvation and my glory: The rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. 8) Trust in him at all times, ye people; Pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

No comments: