Friday, October 24, 2008

Searching

They call it emotional eating...eating comfort food...or some such thing. Some days when I'm pondering on...well, it can be just about anything that is niggling in my mind...I find encouragement in nibbling on what ever is handy. It could be popcorn, carrots, zucchini sticks, even celery-- stuff that doesn't take a lot of thought. Nothing with lots of calories, just something to use as food for thought...that's emotional eating. Comfort food? That's chocolate!

Growing up I was always more of a loner, going my way, doing my own thing. As kids my age were listening to 'Blood, Sweat, and Tears', and other bands of that era, I liked Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66. I lived on top of a bluff overlooking the valley and I often identified with their song, "The Fool on the Hill". I thought it rather sad but amusing. As I have grown older there are a number of things that I find rather sad but amusing.

My Grandmother had a saying, "I'm just a little old woman trying to get along". I am at the point that I have put her saying and the song, "Just an old hippie...trying to get along," together. No, I'm not really, nor was I ever, a hippie...I was just different. A round peg in a square society...rather sad, but amusing in some ways.

The world has never liked round pegs, it wants everyone to conform to it, and tends to make things uncomfortable if they don't. If you're an old wealthy woman whose a bit on the odd side, you are 'eccentric'. If on the other hand you're an old poor woman whose a bit on the odd side, you are just plane weird. That's amusing...even if you are someone like me...weird. Smile :p)

One person in a world of billions. Often the cry is heard, 'what am I here for, what is my purpose?'. There are many people who are searching for the meaning not just in life, but in their own life. It may be a young person just looking for their direction in life, it may be a middle age... or older...person in life thinking 'have I used my direction in life, or just wandered aimlessly?

If you are young, middle age, or older use your talent to glorify God. As in the new fangled GPS on cars--you are not going in the right direction...at the nearest juncture make a u-turn and go back.... We can't always 'go back', but we can take stock of where we are and where we want to go...and how to get there.

Acts 17:27 that they should seek God, if haply they might feel after him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us:

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

"Just pray this prayer," the advertisement says, "and wonderful things will happen..."

Is that the way we seek? How do we ask, and knock, that it shall be given to us and the door will be opened? Is it merely 'praying their little prayer'? If we are truly seeking, be assured we will truly find. No, it's not just praying their prayer. It isn't just 'laying your hands on the radio, (or t.v. for that matter). The true answers are in the scriptures. That is where people need to search.

Matthew 18:2 And he called to him a little child, and set him in the midst of them, 3) and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye turn, and become as little children, ye shall in no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5) And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me:

And as for a direction in life, and the answer to the age-old cry, 'why am I here, what is my purpose'?

How many times do we want to do some wonderful, magnificent, perhaps even awe-inspiring thing? And like the knight left behind to watch the castle gates while everyone else 'rides out to glory and honor', we fret because we are just doing the little things, the unimportant things. But the knight at the castle gate kept out the evil giant by doing the things he was instructed.

John 14:15 If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments.

2Timothy 1:12 For which cause I suffer also these things: yet I am not ashamed; for I know him whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that he is able to guard that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Hallelujah!

No comments: