Saturday, September 13, 2008

Book of Books and Teacher of Teachers

May 17

reprint from May- 2008

I cherish the parables of Jesus. The parable in Matthew 20: 1-16 has many interesting thoughts to it. Many times I have heard this used to teach that even ‘death bed’ repentance is accepted. I’m not going to say it isn’t, only to point out several things that get overlooked. People say, “Well, that is certainly cowardly. Living like sin then at the end when they have chosen unholy paths all of their live long days, they want to repent and go to heaven”. Perhaps that is cowardly as they say, but let’s look a wee bit deeper here.

Several things are implied, or could be assumed, either rightly or erroneously. Number one, that in ‘living like sin’ or in an ungodly manner at least—they had a ‘really good time, lots of fun, frolic, and really lived it up’. Now, quite honestly, there is an enticement with most sin. Like frosting on a cake it can be very exciting, beautiful, whatever adjective you wish to put here. The lure of sin is usually sweet; however, the fruit of sin is bitter. It becomes a heavy burden to carry.

The thing I find about the parable is this. Let’s use the workmen who went out at the early hour as a comparison. They are like those who begin to work for the Lord early in life. Yes, they have ‘born the heat of the day’ as they say, but what have they missed? The fruit of sin for one thing. And even when sorrow comes their way they have a friend, someone to help pick them up, just as it states in Ecclesiastes 4:10, ‘ For if one fall the other will lift up his fellow; but woe to him that is alone when he falleth, and hath not another to lift him up.’.

Luke14:27&28 Whosoever doth not bear his own cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 28) For which of you, desiring to build a tower, doth not first sit down and count the cost, whether he have wherewith to complete it?

Counting the cost. What is the cost? If it isn’t worth everything to you it’s worth nothing to you. Funny how that works.

Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

It is called a paradox: something that can’t be, but is. We may fail to realize that those who haven’t born the heat of the day haven’t had the joy of walking with the Master either. They haven’t had the friendship of the Lord of Lords. I would rather bear the ‘heat of the day’ and walk with Jesus, than to ‘enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season’.

Or as the psalmist says in Psalms 84:10 ‘For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, Than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.’

No comments: