Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Give Us This Day

Matthew 6:11 Give us this day...
"Each day I'll do a golden deed," the song begins. Each day I'll...what?

James 4:13-14 Come now, ye that say, To-day or to-morrow we will go into this city, and spend a year there, and trade, and get gain: 14) whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. What is your life? For ye are a vapor, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

What do we do with the golden days God has given us? Sometimes as I'm going down my daily road I run into the side of the bus. My children-- most of them I'm sure--have heard the story of the little boy who rode our school bus, but there have been several lessons that I've learned that remind me of this incident.

We lived in the 'country' (about 3+ country miles-- give somewhat) from the local school, and five days a week the school bus would come up our road and pick up about forty children on its route take us to school then drop us off in the evening. There was one little boy that lived in what is now known as 'Wiscotti' about a mile and a half from where we lived. I'll call him RT for short. RT was a 'little kid', and as all little kids are he was rather little kiddish. The bus would pull up in front of his house, and RT would be waiting at his door, like a runner in the 40 yard dash. The door would open, and in glorious fashion RT would blaze out and down his 30 foot drive way with a speed that...well in his mind it must have been dazzling. He did this every school day--except one day. One day as he is blazing down the drive, he is so wrapped up in his glorious task that he--clunk-- ran into the side of the bus. Reality check, RT. Of course everyone on the bus kidded him--good naturedly--and from then on RT was much more careful in his daily sprint.

You see, there were several factors that contributed to RT's problem. One, he always ran with his head down. I suppose for added speed, but it also made his sprint somewhat precarious...he couldn't see where he was going.
I sometimes get in the same position. I'm running down the path, head down, and going just as fast as I possibly can. Then I have a reality check--I'm not sure where I'm going, or even worse, clunk! I've run into the side of the bus.

Matthew 6:34 Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Ecclesiastes 7:14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, and in the day of adversity consider; yea, God hath made the one side by side with the other, to the end that man should not find out anything that shall be after him.

Each day Christians need to remember who they belong to, and for what they strive after.

Colosians 3:23-25 whatsoever ye do, work heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men; 24) knowing that from the Lord ye shall receive the recompense of the inheritance: ye serve the Lord Christ. 25) For he that doeth wrong shall receive again for the wrong that he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Keep our eyes on the path--looking unto Jesus--and don't run into the side of the bus!

No comments: