Monday, September 29, 2008

Problems?

reprint from May 27, 2008

A number of years ago we lived in a gorgeous turn-of-the century farm house. There is a bit of nostalgia involved in a big old house like that. There was also a lot of hard work. We had a large family (by today's standards) to care for and some days the work never seemed to end.

One day as I was battling 'to get everything done', I heard myself say something that I just couldn't believe had come out of my mouth. I said very emphatically, "I hate this house!"

Maybe it was good, because, although I had harbored feelings of frustration and turmoil, to actually hear those words forced me to take a long hard look and start analyzing what the real problem was. It wasn't the house. I loved the high ceilings with the rich woodworking. I loved the bay window--also trimmed lavishly in woodwork. There were some trade-off items such as the water was--odd, it had minerals that weren't exactly tasty. But we had lots of it, and there were other trade-off items, but the problem wasn't the house.

Once I acknowledged that, I could work on the real problem, and then analyze if I could change it. If I could then I could move into the next step and change the problem. If on the other hand I couldn't change it--I could at least pray over it; asking for the grace to bear up and bear the problem.

2Corinthians 12:8-9 'Concerning this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.'

Too often we are unhappy with one thing, so we kick the cat, or throw the plate, or what ever we take our frustrations out on. Some things we can fix, some we cannot. It takes wisdom to know the difference, and in some cases it takes courage (in either case) whether to change something or to leave it alone.

When I was much younger I remember times when things were going badly. As in, running dish water and ending up slopping water down the counter, or in another case dropping something else onto the floor. For some reason I have problems with gravity, things always seem to 'fall from me'. One time some such thing occurred, and I gritted my teeth muttering, "Thank you, Lord!" My husband was near at hand and he stopped and looked at me in disbelief, "You aren't really thankful for that!" He scolded.

"No," I said, "no, I'm not, but someday I hope I will be." 1Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always; 17) pray without ceasing; 18) in everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus to you-ward.

I'm still working on being thankful, but sometimes it helps to remember, "Someday I hope I will be." And then I can smile even in tribulation.

No comments: