Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rules And...

"Well," my cousin phones, "how is our business doing today?"

"Just a minute, I have to move the pile of books I am working on, so that I can find my order stuff for..."I start to tell her--as I shuffle my books.

"Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has that problem!" she says.

"I've heard that the poet, Robert Frost, had a similar habit, so I don't feel lonely...and," I find the information I need, "here is my order book..."

Some things seem to be the same no matter what age or culture you visit...if you want something done--you ask a busy person to do it.

We have several 'rules' that are every day good old down home type of wisdom...and most have biblical roots. For instance: "Company, like fish, after three days begins to smell."

Proverbs 25:17 Let thy foot be seldom in thy neighbor's house, Lest he be weary of thee, and hate thee.

We-- for the most part-- find it a very good rule of thumb. Although our family, has at times had to bend this rule. At those times the rule of: "If there is room in the heart, there is room in the home", seems to apply-- "John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; even as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."

We teach our youngsters: "Obey right away,"-- 1Samuel 15:22 "And Samuel said, Hath Jehovah as great delight in burnt-offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of Jehovah? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."

It works for both us, and them.

As I read through the Proverbs I find several things that have spoken and still speak today:

"Keep your words sweet, you never know which ones you may have to eat." Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Put mind in motion before you put mouth in gear. Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.

"Don't be like a (dumb) ox--"Proverbs 7:22 He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;"

It is easier to tear things down than to build things up. Think things through before you begin. "Proverbs 14:1 Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands."

When I think I have ALL of the answers?
Proverbs 15:4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life; But perverseness therein is a breaking of the spirit.
Proverbs 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: Therefore leave off contention, before there is quarrelling.
Proverbs 20:3 It is an honor for a man to keep aloof from strife; But every fool will be quarrelling.
Proverbs 21:9 It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, Than with a contentious woman in a wide house.

When I think not only do I have ALL of the answers, but that I have ALL of the RIGHT answers?
Proverbs 21:19 It is better to dwell in a desert land, Than with a contentious and fretful woman.
Proverbs 25:24 It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, Than with a contentious woman in a wide house.

For my cousin Patty--he always had trouble with fellows wanting to fight with him. His answer showed a wisdom beyond his years: "Go on outside, if I'm not there in five minutes...start without me."
"Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, Lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof,..."

For folks who think there is no truth in the Bible? "Proverbs 30:33 ...And the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood;...". Try it... I'm sure it would work.

Proverbs 15:15&16 All the days of the afflicted are evil; But he that is of a cheerful heart hath a continual feast. 16) Better is little, with the fear of Jehovah, Than great treasure and trouble therewith.

Sometimes it's all in the perspective, the eye of the beholder, the heart of the person.
Proverbs 17:22 A cheerful heart is a good medicine; But a broken spirit drieth up the bones.

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

No comments: