Saturday, September 27, 2008

Title

"Easy as pie..." my son says in reply.
"Pi--3.14. Pi are square...no pie are round. Pie are cherry, or apple," I say.
"Pie are peach," he answers.
"Grammar is bad," I warn him.
"No, gramma is fine," my husband has the last word.

"I bet your family has interesting get togethers," Katy says.
"Oh, yes, they are...different," we tell her.

And so it goes. When the kids were younger and were all at home our meal time would often contain a similar exchange with one person making an off hand statement, and we would carry it around our (round) dinner table until we had worn it out, or someone topped the others and we let it stand.

It is said that the English language is one of the hardest languages to learn. I don't know, but they all tax my patience at times, and English is not always a very exact language.

The word 'love' can mean a variety of things. I love apple pie, I love my children, and I love my husband, but I don't love them all the same...and that's all right.

John 21:14-17 This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested to the disciples, after that he was risen from the dead. 15) So when they had broken their fast, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of John, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. 16) He saith to him again a second time, Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Tend my sheep. 17) He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

There are at least four words in the Greek language for love. Here in John Jesus asks Simon Peter three times 'lovest thou me more than these?' Jesus uses the word agapao--a form of the word agape, which is --love, affection, ardently, supremely, or perfectly--twice. Peter answers--Yea, Lord thou knowest I --phileo you. Phileo--that's the word we get brotherly affection (or our word Philadelphia) from. Jesus asks twice-- agapao me? The third time he uses phileo.

It had to be tough for 'impetuous Peter'. The one who just days before says, "Lord, if all else forsake thee--I will never forsake thee--yet he had denied his Lord three times. Now he is much more humble, now he has to face himself...and Jesus...and come to terms with himself...and Jesus.

Luke 22:31 Simon, Simon, behold, Satan asked to have you, that he might sift you as wheat: 32) but I made supplication for thee, that thy faith fail not; and do thou, when once thou hast turned again, establish thy brethren. 33) And he said unto him, Lord, with thee I am ready to go both to prison and to death. 34) And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, until thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.

The darkest trial can bring forth the brightest faith. No, it isn't always easy, matter of fact--it seldom is easy. The difference between Simon Peter and Judas Iscariot wasn't just that one sold his Lord for thirty pieces of silver. Judas took the money back and threw it at the feet of the chief priests and elders...then went out and hung himself. Yes, Peter is struggling here, but he picked up, went on, and as Jesus prayed, 'strengthened his brethren'.

We must always keep in mind that there is nothing that is worth more than our Lord. Prayer, we need to remember what Jesus said, "I made supplication for thee"--prayer. Or as the little saying says: More things are wrought through prayer than this world ever dreams of. Keep praying. Yea, Lord, thou knowest we love thee.

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

No comments: