Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Grandma's House

"Let's go to Grandma's house," the little fellow pipes up.

"The cake's all gone here," I tell my daughter-in-law, and we both laugh.

Pot luck has been a little slim today, and the cake didn't last long enough. Not for a little guy that likes cake...and one who is sure 'Grandma's house' has more...cake.

"Oh! Now I remember Grandpa and Grandma's house!" My daughter and her family haven't been 'home' for about two years, and for an almost six year old grandson that is a long time. "I love my Grandma...and I love her fudge!"

"Well, at least he has it in the right order," another daughter-in-law says.

What made my Grandma's house so special? Grandma, of course! And Grandpa--of course! And the memories that were made at their house.

Matthew 20:8-15 And when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the laborers, and pay them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first. 9) And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a shilling. 10) And when the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise received every man a shilling. 11) And when they received it, they murmured against the householder, 12) saying, These last have spent but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat. 13) But he answered and said to one of them, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a shilling? 14) Take up that which is thine, and go thy way; it is my will to give unto this last, even as unto thee. 15) Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? or is thine eye evil, because I am good?

I'm not a scholar--have never claimed to be, but what is fascinating about this parable? The workers hired in the early part of the day...complained! If there is a parallel between those of us who have borne the heat of the day...those who have labored from our 'youth' and onward...we need to be thankful--not complain. What a blessing, to have come to the knowledge early in life. To have walked with Jesus, and talked with him, and yes, worked with and for Jesus...all of these years. How much richer my life has been. I've made my mistakes, but how many I've not made...because I've walked with Jesus.

Mistakes? Yes, we have made them. But we continue to fight on. We continue to remember the admonition, 'we may lose a battle, but we'll not lose the war'! And the memories...

Matthew 19:29 And every one that hath left houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit eternal life.

Have we left homes, and family behind?

"I just don't know, them moving over to that country! We all see the news, and their folks aren't in very good health...I just think that's not good!" a sister in Christ offers her opinion.

"The news is scary. There are wars, and rumors of wars, but we know God is able to keep them safe. And if it were my own children who were wanting to go...no matter what my health, well, I won't be around for ever, and the important thing is that the work of the Lord be done. I would tell them, if they felt like that was where God wanted them to serve...May God go with you," I tell her.

We may have left all behind, we may have left only a little, but we have gained a much more valuable treasure by walking with the Lord...in the morning, in the heat of the day, and finally during the end of the day.

Matthew 12:35 "The good man out of his good treasure bringeth forth good things:"
Matthew 6:20 "but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven...."

As we journey on we take some things with us, send some things on ahead, and leave other things behind. It is my prayer that we leave the dross, the refuse, the unworthy things behind.

It is my prayer that when we reach heaven we bring our treasures with us...and don't leave them behind.

Matthew 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer the little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for to such belongeth the kingdom of heaven.

Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go unto the house of Jehovah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deboraw, i was going too coment on both of your post earlier but had household duties to do first. :) so now I will. enjoyed them a lot. The older I get, the more even my bad memories make me smile, and I know I've made lots of mistakes, it kinda reminds me of the poem about " Foot Prints " ( I think its titled). So I either smile cause of happyness, comfort that God is with me, or the lessons it has taught me.
I ecko what you said about when I die, that my family remembers that I loved them with with all my heart, but that they remember me how I was, the good times and bad.

deboraw said...

Daniel, thank you for your comment. That is so true, remembering 'how I was'. It kinda adds a spice to the memory. As in I remember the good about my Mother, and some of what makes me smile is 'how she really was'. She didn't put up with whining or complaining, and she could put us--my sister and I--in order in a short few seconds...and no talking back. And that's what made her (now in memory) who and what she was. So, even what could have been 'the bad' isn't really...now. Smile. Deboraw