Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Moses Experience

"Why doesn't God answer me!" the person demands angrily.

What they really mean is--"Why doesn't God give me what I want?"

"Mom," the little girl says sadly after their kitty died, "it's too bad kitties won't be in heaven."

"Yes, Anna, it is too bad." Mom just lets her talk her sorrow out.

"What would happen if when Jesus comes--I'm holding a cat? What would happen, Mom?" she continues in little girl fashion.

"I don't know. I guess we'll just have to think about it."

After a few minutes of silence Anna speaks up, "Mom, I think I know what would happen."

"You do? What do you think would happen."

"Well, Jesus would look down through the clouds, and see me holding the cat. Then he would say, (and here her little girl voice gets just as deep and commanding as a little girl voice can) "Put down the cat, Anna. Put down the cat!"

Exodus 20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. 19) And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

How astonished we would be if--after we have prayed for something--the heavens opened and God's Voice spoke to us, "I said NO! I meant No! Pray for something else now!"

We would probably respond just as the people did at Mount Sinai when they told Moses, "You speak to us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us..."

Almost twenty years ago now--our boys went out to do their morning chores. As I prepared breakfast, one of the younger boys burst in the kitchen door, "Mom," he said urgently, "come quick!"

I didn't ask questions, just shut the stove off, and stepped out the door, and expected some awful catastrophe to await me. The sight that met my eyes was truly horrible/wonderful all in the same moment.

The entire Northern sky was filled with tongues of reddish shimmering light. Not just a little piece of the sky, but the huge panorama of the sky from side to side and top to bottom.

I understand that those who live much further north see these "Northern Lights" in greater detail, and more often than we who live in the Midwest. I have never seen them so intense, not before--not after, but I remember thinking, I know that this isn't 'the time of Jesus coming', but what if it was? I can't imagine ANYTHING as horrible as this...if I weren't a Christian. How absolutely terrified I would be. I am a Christian and it still is horrible...and wonderful at the same time.

Revelation 22:20 He who testifieth these things saith, Yea: I come quickly. Amen: come, Lord Jesus. 21) The grace of the Lord Jesus be with the saints. Amen.

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

No comments: