Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why?

Jesus loves the children. Jesus was the friend of 'sinners'. Jesus came to save the unlovable. Jesus brought salvation.

Ecclesiastes 7:27 Behold, this have I found, saith the preacher, counting one by one, to find out the account:
28) Which yet my soul seeketh, but I find not: one man among a thousand have I found; but a woman among all those have I not found.
29) Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

I look at the pan as I remove it from the dishwasher. Why does the dishwasher clean the crud off the bottom of the pan--on the outside, as it were--but it won't clean the inside?

And why do these three items run together in my mind? Jesus loves me, this I know. Even though I don't deserve that love. The 'Preacher' in Ecclesiastes points out (not that women are more fickle than men, although he may be right) that men and women are untrustworthy. The best among us are still...human, and as such we are prone to mistakes, to at times falter. And that is the best of us.

Several things I find interesting: One thing is folks who look down on others. They feel in some way superior--perhaps they are born into a 'better' family, have more money, are more popular, are...well, for what ever reason people feel superior, they just do.

When we are obedient to the Lord's commands we receive salvation, but not because of what we have done, only because of what HE has done. We will never be able to merit that salvation. Never be worthy of it.

Job 9:2 I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?

Job 9:28 "I am afraid of all my sorrows, I know that thou wilt not hold me innocent.
29) If I be wicked, why then labor I in vain? 30) If I wash myself with snow water, and make my hands never so clean;..."

Can we be justified with God? We can wash ourselves on the outside to become outwardly clean...that is like the dishwasher that washes the crud off the outside, and leaves gunk on the inside. Our inward person still has the crud on it. And it doesn't matter who it is. Some folks --apparently--haven't acquired as much crud as others...but they still have crud.

Luke 18:9 And he spake also this parable unto certain who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and set all others at nought: 10) Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11) The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as the rest of men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12) I fast twice in the week; I give tithes of all that I get. 13) But the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote his breast, saying, God, be thou merciful to me a sinner.

Micah 6:8 He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth Jehovah require of thee, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"But the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote his breast, saying, God, be thou merciful to me a sinner."

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

No comments: