Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"Oh, I'm Okay,"

--reprint from--May 25, 2008

How many times do we hear that phrase? Maybe we've even said it a time or two. Some people feel offended if you don't respond with, "I'm just great! I'm fantastic!" They insinuate that if you aren't enthusiastic and bubbling over with zeal, there is something wrong with you and probably something wrong with your faith in God.

Maybe they know something I don't, however, my momma tried to teach me to be truthful, and truthfully there are sometimes when, "I'm okay." Not fantastic, and not even great, just okay. Maybe my day started out with one catastrophe and just continued to slide. Hopefully my attitude survived, and the Lord and I are hobbling along together. You know He is holding me up, but I'm still a wee bit wobbly.

"So, how are you doing today?" he asks me.

"I'm a little stressed," I answer. Then I find out, according to the questioner, that there IS something wrong with my faith. I guess he's never had twenty people show up for lunch unexpectedly, and not have anything prepared. Please--let me admit that I'm just a little stressed--in these situations,for just a little while at least.

Through times of sickness, strife, stress, we do need to learn to face the future with faith. It does not mean we will always feel wonderful, or that we will always be stress free. There are things we learn through these times that cannot be learned in any other way.

After a spell of sickness it is a relief to 'get back on my feet' and return to some of the routine daily chores. After feeding the twenty people and sending them home, THAT is a relief. Having survived the trial gives me a victorious feeling.

When I hear the phrase, "I'm okay," I stop and think to myself, "What is this person saying?" We too often miss the innuendos of what is being said. Some folks are overly honest. They will tell you exactly what is wrong, and a number of times. I would gladly help people to feel better, if I knew how. Most of the time the best that I can do is to pat them on the back and say "Well, that's too bad. Hope things get better for you. We'll put you in our prayers."

James 5:13 Is any among you suffering? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing praise. Come to think of it, that is the BEST I can do. The absolute best.

Hallelujah! What a Saviour!


No comments: