Sunday, August 17, 2008

"And after all of that," my cousin has just listed all of the 'blessings' of her day, "Chuck brought me one of those ice cream treats I've been drooling over."

"You don't say!" I am slightly envious. One, because I didn't get the ice cream, and two, because even if someone HAD brought it to me...I couldn't eat it.

"I sure do say! Well, let me tell you, I couldn't believe all of those things happening in one day, and I just went into my bedroom, I got down on my knees, and I began to pray. I prayed over around, and about everything, and everyone I could think to pray about. If God was blessing me that day, I figured that was my day to pray for everything on my heart."

Well, I haven't had a day--that I can remember--when everyone I knew showered me with the things I wanted in an elaborate fashion, but...

Matthew 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment?

Consider how many blessings God gives everyone! Not just good folks, nor his favorite, but everyone! Consider how rich we are. Every day we are blessed to view the world around us. The mountains, sky, trees, the pallet of our world is huge and contains so many things that we don't have time or space to list everything.

"Try a little bite," my son tells his child, "try just a little taste and see if you don't like it."

We are told in Psalms 34:8 "Oh taste and see that Jehovah is good: Blessed is the man that taketh refuge in him."

Yes, you can have just enough of Christianity to be miserable, but when we compare....

"Just what do you do for fun?" the young man of the world asks the young Christian girl after she repeatedly refuses to go on a date with him to several 'hot spots'.
"I wake up in the morning--without regrets," she tells him.

Without regrets. I don't know many people who can say that. To carefully weigh the options from a Christian perspective. How much sorrow it would save, and how much more happiness there would be.

Matthew 6:34 Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Taking one day at a time...with its golden blessings. Be thankful for each day with its golden blessings. Some one gave me 'bath oil beads' once. When held under the hot water faucet as the bath water was running, they would dissolve and perfume the water. That is what our daily blessings are like. Kind words, good deeds, the fruits of the spirit--like bath oil beads that make our lives pleasant and perfume the space in which we live.

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

2 comments:

Christian said...

Dear Deboraw,

How many times I have used that phrase "try a little bite" with my children. LOL

What is more shocking to me is I just realized what I am saying to that child and not just what I am saying but what I am teaching. For in that little phrase lies the exact reasoning of Satan. He says "Try a little [insert sinful action here] (beer/dancing/etc) and see if you don't like it". If I, therefore, tell my child "you need to try it and see if you like it" then I am teaching that child, "You have to try something first before you can say it is wrong." God forgive me for my blindness!!

Christian

deboraw said...

Christian, But you must remember that God through David says the same thing when he says: Psa 34:8 Oh taste and see that Jehovah is good: Blessed is the man that taketh refuge in him.

It does show however the need for being careful in many areas. You might rephrase your statement somewhat, because children need to be encouraged in some areas. Smile ;p). I read a book one time where the little child told her mother, "Well, I've tried being good. I think I want to try being bad to see which one I like." She was a small child...and the mother was shocked. They must have worked it out because she has become a nice young woman. As you say, lol.
Deboraw