Monday, August 25, 2008

May Your Soul Prosper...

Several years ago I set the goal to read through the entire Bible within the year. I have continued to do that every year since, and find it fascinating that as I read and reread each time there are scriptures that 'jump out' at me. I know I have read them before, but there they are suddenly highlighted.

Psalms 106:10-11 And he saved them from the hand of him that hated them, And redeemed them from the hand of the enemy. 11) And the waters covered their adversaries; There was not one of them left.

How many times had God saved his people, Israel, after they left Egypt? They crossed the Red Sea 'as on dry land', and as Pharaoh's army chased after them, the army was 'covered by the waters'. Standing on the shore watching the waters roll back together...even in the classic movie 'The Ten Commandments' it is awesome. When I try to picture physically standing on the shore after the fearful hurrying, the fleeing of the Jewish nation as the Egyptian army is almost on their heels. Of course we know that the 'Pillar of Fire, (or of Cloud)' stood between the two camps, but it would feel like they were stepping at their heels. The hopeless feeling that, "even when we reach the other side, what will we do then, continue to run?" would have to hover in the back of their thoughts.

Psalms 106:12-13 Then believed they his words; They sang his praise. 13) They soon forgat his works; They waited not for his counsel,

Suddenly the waters closed on their enemies! They were saved! How glorious, how wonderful, how absolutely marvelous!

Exodus 15:1-2-21 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto Jehovah, and spake, saying, I will sing unto Jehovah, for he hath triumphed gloriously: The horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2) Jehovah is my strength and song, And he is become my salvation: This is my God, and I will praise him; My father's God, and I will exalt him..... 21) And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to Jehovah, for he hath triumphed gloriously; The horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.

From verse one through verse twenty-one the people sing the praises of Jehovah. Then verses twenty-two through twenty four of the same chapter:

Exodus 15:22 And Moses led Israel onward from the Red Sea, and they went out into the wilderness of Shur; and they went three days in the wilderness, and found no water.... 24) And the people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink?

That must have been a long forty years. How many times during the wilderness wanderings did God take care of their needs? How many times did he bless them over, and over, and over.

---Psalms 106:14 But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, And tempted God in the desert.

Yet the verse that really stood out to me? Psalm 106:15-- "And he gave them their request, But sent leanness into their soul."

How many days do I see the testament of God's glory, His power, and majesty...all about me. Everywhere I look. Beautiful memories. Of course not all are beautiful, but I only cherish the ones that are--beautiful.

"Come over, the trees are golden today!" my friend call me up.
"How did you know?"
"How did I know what?" she asks.
"How utterly tired I am of...everything that 'wants' done," I say.
"You need a break. Come on over for tea!" she says
"Does two-ish sound all right?"
"I'll put the kettle on. See you about two-ish."

"You know, Mom," my daughter says, "it's scary. It's scary when Susie and I begin to sit and talk about things...just like you and Donna. Susie said to me the other day, 'Yeah, pretty soon we'll be sitting and I'll say to you, --So, how're your chickens doing today--, just like our moms do'."

"It sure is, honey," I say. While I'm thinking, darlin' if you only knew...chickens aren't the only things we talk about! My friend and I have solved all of the problems of the world, and all of our children's problems, and all of the problems that have been or ever could be. Over our cup of tea. Sometimes while the golden leaves shimmer in the sunlight above our heads, sometimes in the warm sunlight of summer, in the fresh springtime, or sitting by the wood stove.

So many of God's blessings, friends, family, sight, sound. Too many things taken for granted.

Psalms 89:5 And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O Jehovah; Thy faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones.

Psalms 89:6 For who in the skies can be compared unto Jehovah? Who among the sons of the mighty is like unto Jehovah,

3John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

3 comments:

Christian said...

Dear Deboraw;

Indeed, May God Prosper your soul. Memory was given for . . . .well rememberance. That may sound rather redundant, but when you stop and think about it, our memory was given to us to remember certain things. For example, the memory of the seemlingly endless hours I spent brushing my mother's hair or the other times that I spent giving massages to my spouse seemed to be chores at the time, but now as I use that memory God blessed me with, I find comfort in them. Or perhaps we might remember a particular deed that caused us shame; that gives us instruction. That reminds me of an old addage I've heard a number of times "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." How true. For there are some who take their memories and use them for destruction both of themselves and others around them.

Christian

deboraw said...

Indeed, Christian, I too can remember other things that bring various memories. And sometimes I do kick myself and say, 'why don't you ever learn? Do you have to do the SAME dumb thing over and over?' Even those things can bring a smile once in a while. The good things I've done--for and with--other folks always brings a peaceful feeling--whether they appreciated it or not. I remember with fondness the times my Grandmother and I shared, sorrow with my mother. It is a reminder to love and cherish the times with loved ones--now--Heb 13:16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased. God bless, Deboraw

deboraw said...

Somehow as I reread that last phrase it should have read: I remember with fondness the times my Grandmother and I shared; but with sorrow the times my mother and I shared. Communication--such a fragile thing.
Deboraw