Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Time to Dance

I peruse down through the list of questions. These are supposed to help you 'get to know' your friends better. Some of the answers are funny; "What's under your bed?" answer--What isn't (and I don't want to know); question--Diamonds or Pearls? (my answer--Yes, I like both--my question--why do I have to choose? is there a shortage?)

Well, my friend is counting on me to answer these and send it back, sooo, here it goes. But-- question number 46 throws me. "When was the last time you cried?"

A little personal don't you think? Now if the question had been, "When was the last time you laughed?" that would have been alright, but...cried?

Emotions. We used to have little icons that could be used while we were 'insta-messaging'. I loved them. They were cute...even the boohoo one. When I was growing up we were not allowed to cry. Not that we were ever disciplined for crying, but adults didn't cry (that we saw) and that was what we absorbed.

Ecclesiastes 3:1&4 "For everything there is a season, and a time for very purpose under heaven: 4) a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;".

Well, I ponder question number forty-six.

John 11:35 Jesus wept.

2 Samuel 12:16 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.

Matthew 26:75 And Peter remembered the word which Jesus had said, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

Jesus wept because of his friends. King David wept before Jehovah (in behalf of his child). Peter wept because of his sin (in despair for failing Jesus in his time of trial).

We weep for these same reasons. When my friends hurt--I hurt with them. (1Corinthians 12:26 And whether one member suffereth, all the members suffer with it;...)

We weep for our fleshly children and family. (Romans 9:2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing pain in my heart. 3) For I could wish that I myself were anathema from Christ for my brethren's sake, my kinsmen according to the flesh:)

We weep for ourselves. (Romans 7:24 Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?)

We should weep for our nation, the lost, and even our enemies. (Philippians 3:18 For many walk, of whom I told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:)

Discretion--"a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;" Jeremiah was known as the 'weeping prophet', but--we don't want to walk around weeping constantly. Why do we see tears as a sign of weakness? It shows our vulnerability, and we see that as a sign of weakness.

...a time to laugh; a time to mourn...and a time to dance. Yes, there is a time to weep, not in self-pity: Job 2:10 "But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?..."

Knowing that life happens to all of us both the good times and the bad, we can submit ourselves and draw nearer to God.

When was the last time you cried?

Psalms 89:1 "I will sing of the lovingkindness of Jehovah for ever: With my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. 2) For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever; Thy faithfulness wilt thou establish in the very heavens."

2 comments:

Christian said...

Dear Deboraw,

Good points. It has been a long time since I cried. I guess it is because I don't wish to worry those I love. I hate pity, don't you?

Christian

deboraw said...

Dear Christian, Thank you for your comment. Yes, I believe we are afraid of pity, and that is one of the reasons we are afraid to 'show' tears. There are 'silent tears' as well. There was a film made about Eleanor Roosevelt a number of years ago. Whenever she had moments of deep sadness, she would go into the bathroom to cry, and would flush the stool to cover the sound so that no one would know she was crying. I think that self pity is a selfish thing to cry for, because it focuses on 'self', not that it is always wrong to cry for self, but not for pity. Deboraw