Thursday, August 28, 2008

Things From My Garden

Things From My Garden-- reprint fr0m August 8, 2008

The beans are growing well, and they need a fence--or a trellis--for support and somewhere to climb. Rule number one: don't try to tell your fifteen year old son how to twist the wire to attach the fence to the posts. Even if you have more experience than he does. (He will question that point, probably loudly and vehemently). Sub-point a) if he knows how to twist the wire--he will get excited, (example--"Mom! I already know how to do this! Do you think I fell off the apple cart yesterday?") sub-point b) if he doesn't know how to twist wire--he will get excited,(example #two "Mom, I already know how to do this! Do you think I fell off the apple cart yesterday?")

Next rule, when laying out the rows, have your fifteen year old son measure the space between the rows, at least two feet between each row--maybe even three. Because when he is helping weed later on in the year, he will have at least two feet in the garden, and with the size of your fifteen year old son's feet it will seem like he has four feet.

Side point: volunteers in the garden can be a good thing. Since I use non-hybrid tomato, and bean varieties, I have a fondness for 'volunteer' tomatoes and beans. However, volunteers don't always grow where my fifteen year old son puts the rows, but usually do grow where he puts his feet, his hoe, or our cultivator. He denies being at war with my volunteers.

Growing things in a garden takes time and patience. Sometimes there is never enough time, and patience doesn't get rid of the worms (or pests), and my fifteen year old son with a tennis racket doesn't get enough of the cabbage moths either. (But he is learning style, grace, and form).

Life goes in cycles. You reap what you sow, and be careful of volunteers. (Sometimes you get what you don't want, where you don't want it). Learn to evaluate. If you are a fifteen year old son, WATCH YOUR FEET.

You plant, you water, and God gives the increase. You watch and carefully tend, and before you know it your fifteen year old son will be going on thirty. You pray that the lessons he learns from the garden will do him good all the days of his life.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, And even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Ephesians 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but nurture them in the chastening and admonition of the Lord.

Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing in the Lord. 21) Fathers, provoke not your children, that they be not discouraged.

Psalms 104:33 "I will sing unto Jehovah as long as I live:

I will sing praise to my God while I have any being."

No comments: