Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mustard, but...

"My friends and I were at a restaurant. We had a lot of fun, laughing and telling jokes. We had a great time. I got home and when I looked in the mirror...I was so embarrassed! I had mustard on my nose! I couldn't believe it. We had been in the restaurant for quite some time, and I had mustard on my nose. Not one of my friends had told me!" she was incredulous, even after all of the years in between that, of her good friends, not one had even told her that she had....

Proverbs 25:11&12 A word fitly spoken Is like apples of gold in network of silver. 12) As an ear-ring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, So is a wise reprover upon an obedient ear.

"That preacher was preaching right at me!"

Have we forgotten, that is what the preacher is supposed to do?

"Well, I told her, if the shoe fits...put it on," our acquaintance smiles.

Matthew 23:3 all things therefore whatsoever they bid you, these do and observe: but do not ye after their works; for they say, and do not.

"When you read Matthew 23: 3," the speaker explains, "Jesus does not say--since these guys are hypocritical, you don't have to do what they tell you--. Jesus admonishes us if they are telling you the truth, if they are preaching it like it ought to be, then you need to follow the teaching. If they don't follow the correct path...well, that's their problem."

If the shoe fits put it on.

Galatians 4:16 So then am I become your enemy, by telling you the truth?

Philippians 3:18 For many walk, of whom I told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

The apostle Paul had a heart for people, and he was dedicated to the cause of his Lord Jesus. It hurt him deeply that there were those folks who were subverting the cause of Christ, causing other innocent people to fall. And we still have those same type of people today. Some people, like Paul, love God and Jesus. Others, like Hymenaeus and Alexander, "...which some having thrust from them made shipwreck concerning the faith:" (1Timothy 1:19) didn't love anyone... except themselves.

Matthew 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me cast out the mote out of thine eye; and lo, the beam is in thine own eye?

There is a fine line as we walk the pilgrim's path. I am more prone to say nothing. Oh, I may mutter under my breath talking to the Lord, but not wanting to say the wrong thing...or judge harshly...I say nothing.

Yet there are the days when I feel like I'm the 'speck' and the 'beam' is trying to help me get it out of my eye. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! The Lord and I are working on this." I feel like saying.

"Are you really?" my conscience asks me.

"Well, kinda," I reply.

Mark 9:22-24 And oft-times it hath cast him both into the fire and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do anything, have compassion on us, and help us. 23) And Jesus said unto him, If thou canst! All things are possible to him that believeth. 24) Straightway the father of the child cried out, and said, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Does our faith seem small? Luke 17:5 "And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith."

Do we need more wisdom? James 1:5 "But if any of you lacketh wisdom, let him ask of God,..."

Do trials seem to press on us from all sides? Philippians 4:13 I can do all things in him that strengtheneth me.

Philippians 4:8&9 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9) The things which ye both learned and received and heard and saw in me, these things do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

No comments: