Sunday, August 10, 2008

Finding the Right Words

Having the right words at the right time is a precious commodity. I often have the right words--at the wrong time. Or no words when I should say something. Or worse still having the wrong words at the right time.

"Well," the man told his daughter-in-law, "I found a very good book at the book sale. It was on men's health, and foods that were good for men to help them be healthy. Did you know that peanut butter is very good for men..."

"Yes,it helps keep their mouth shut," I confided to his wife who was standing beside me.

As the look of disbelief was replaced by one of amusement, I realized she had not read the same book I had.

"I read a book one time where a veterinarian said she gave her dogs peanut butter to keep.... You know, I think I'm going to get myself a jar of peanut butter to keep in my purse," I muttered more to myself than anyone else.

"It is better to remain silent and have everyone believe you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." is attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

Proverbs 17:28 tells us that "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise; When he shutteth his lips, he is esteemed as prudent."

Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken Is like apples of gold in network of silver.

Psalms 34:11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of Jehovah. 12) What man is he that desireth life, And loveth many days, that he may see good? 13) Keep thy tongue from evil, And thy lips from speaking guile.

Psalms 141:3 Set a watch, O Jehovah, before my mouth; Keep the door of my lips.

No comments: